Corn adjunct issues - Hydro sample is terrible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurkCowan

Reaction score
So I tried to make a cream ale a few weeks ago and I just tasted a hydro sample. It's the first one to date I could barely stomach. All I can taste is the corn.
Can someone please take a look at my recipe and let me know if/where I went wrong and if this corn taste will subside. If it helps, I hit way high on efficiency and ended up with a higher gravity than intended, thus the high ABV. I know it's green at all, but I've never tasted a green beer this bad.

Thanks!!!

Type: All grain
Size: 3 gallons
Color: 2 HCU (~2 SRM)
Bitterness: 16 IBU
OG: 1.048 FG: 1.008
Alcohol: 5.2% v/v (4.1% w/w)
Grain:
3 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. Flaked corn
.25 lb. Flaked rice
Mash: 90% efficiency
Boil: 90 minutes
Hops:
.3 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 45 min.)
.3 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)

I too brewed a cream ale about two weeks ago; I too have a "corn" taste to the beer. I'm not worried about it since it has only been two weeks and I've heard stories about this recipe tasting like A$$ for at least three weeks. I would just suggest that you RDWHAHB until it has been bottled for a few weeks. I only did a week in primary, thinking that I should have done three before bottling, but the taste is slowly cleaning up as I sample the bottles.

I think that's kind of a lot of corn for a three gallon batch.
I used a pound for six gallons.

Thanks for the input, guys. I tried to halve BM's cream of 3 crops with this one. I'm hoping it passes with time. That's been my experience with other off tastes, etc... I just wasn't sure about this one (I thought maybe I messed up my math or mashed too long). :mug:

To me, BM's cream taste really 'corny' and yeastie for the first couple of pulls from the keg. After that, liquid gold.

The corn does seem a little upfront in it when it's young, but it's a pretty light beer to begin with. I use a couple of lbs of corn in my pre-pro amber lager recipe and you can't taste it at all. But then again, I'm using 6 row and the beer is lagered.

Back