fermentation temp was 70 now 62 now im stuck is that normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss429

Reaction score
Like i said i didnt have insulation on ranco probe so it wasnt working well so I ended up with beer 68F-72F the first week of fermentation. Then I added insulation and lowered beer to around 62-64F. I took reading before I lowered temp and now im stuck @ 1.02.

WLP051 is yeast I am using btw

Can drastic temperature change such as I did kill all my yeast?

I know I'm not supposed to lower temp just go higher but the beer started to go past 70s like 71 72 so I got paranoid.

OG- 1.065

SG- 1.02 for last week @ 62-64

Another question is if i raise temp you guys think it will ferment? Do you think the yeast is still alive in there and willing to work for me? the beer taste fine btw...

Your yeast isn't dead, just put to sleep so I would follow the recommendations in the link provided above to see if you can get it to wake up; however, I would not use champaigne yeast if you decide to repitch...just get a healthy starter going of wlp051 and see what that does for you.

your yeast isn't dead or sleeping IMO, your beer's done and you just finished a bit higher than you would've hoped. 1.065 is a pretty strong beer and finishing at 1.020 isn't uncommon at all, especially if you're doing extract. if your temps were 68-72 for the first week then it was probably finished for a couple days before the temp was even lowered, i say bottle that baby up and enjoy!

One of the worst things you can do for your attenuation is letting your fermenting beer drop in temperature near the end of fermentation. The yeast will drop out, and since the only sugars left will be usually polysaccharides, they won't want to start back up even if you warm it back up.

you were right chris.... yeast are done... I tired to raise temp for last 48 hours and nope. Not worth doing a starter or any other stuff 1.02 isnt bad and it dosent taste sweet. Still learned my lesson...

Well, at least it finished low enough you can tolerate the residual sugar. I would still dry hop as planned, might help to balance out the extra sweetness.

Back