best site glass and how to get it really low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datchew

Reaction score
Currently have the couplings high enough on the keg walls that with the 90 deg turn and all in the sight glass, i hit the 5 gal mark before i see indications.
Would like to get it down lower.

Also, the 90 deg compression fitting and o-rings is kinda flimsy. What's the preferred site glass and whats the trick to put it as low as possible?

What do you have right now? My kits start reading at 2.75 gallons in a converted keg.

706314752_umNEQ-L.jpg

Here's the best pic of the location that I have. It's a T-shaped stainless piece which adds approx 1" of height above the hole through the bulkhead. Then the compression fitting adds another 1/2" of height, etc. It's just mounted too high. I end up seeing a visual indicator at 5 gallons.

I'll be welding soon and patching this hole. But while I'm relocating, I'd rather have a better setup than this big honking T-shaped stainless thing.

I'm thinking of the site glasses i've seen on the sabco rigs and similar. They're shrouded with a stainless piece of C-channel. I can pass on that, but I like that they're so small and sit so close to the keg.
Or something like this:
http://www.brew-magic.com/bm_part_sitgl_tube.html

But I'm not sure how to connect it. I could weld to the bottom I guess. Easy enough, but it would be in the path of the burner.

I could weld this in. Anyone got a line on a part # for this little 90 compression fitting?

Sorry if this is old news guys. I'm not a frequent flyer on this board.

874101891_ww7nB-L.jpg

You could switch your ball valve and sight glass/thermo assemblies. The ball valve appears quite a bit lower. A pickup tube would allow you have the ball valve raised higher with no issues and I'm assuming you already have one.

You definitely drilled your hole too high. You would want it as close to the bottom of the wall as you can where it would still have a place to seal. My sight glass kits (early Bobby M) are welded 3/8" fittings and they read just under 2 gallons.

Back