Mixed-Style Beer Sleight of Hand: Sierra Nevada Beer Camp #94

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP550
Yeast Starter
1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black/Ruby
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Belgian Style Black IPA.
Mash: 154F

Grain:
4lb Marris Otter
4lb Pilsner
5.5lb 2-Row
1lb 10oz CarafaII
6oz Chocolate Malt

Hops:
0.6oz Simcoe 60min
0.6oz Sorachi Ace 40min
0.6oz Sorachi Ace 10min
0.5oz Sorachi Ace flame-out
0.75oz Nelson Sauvin flameout

Dryhop for 1 week:
0.65oz Nelson Sauvin
2oz Sorachi Ace

I was lucky enough to be part of Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp, and our camp's beer made the Best Of Beer Camp variety pack and bottle sales. The recipe I have below is the original release under the name Sleight of Hand, which is more Belgian and Hop-Aroma than the national release.

Beautiful tropical hops aromatics play with the Belgian yeast, leading to a dark, full malty flavor and body.

As several folks had come to me for a recipe, I am posting it here, with Sierra Nevada's permission. Enjoy, and please ask questions!

I am going mostly off of the official recipe which had a 60min addition. Saw no need to "protect" the wort early in the boil.

Awesome! I had this beer a few weeks back and was blown away. Thanks for posting this.

Question, how long should this guy age? I'd hate to waste it by pouring too soon...

Glad you liked it! I would say it was really awesome at 2 months. Want to make sure you have those strong hops aromatics present. They fall off, and give way to a very malty Belgian with strong hops flavor. Still delicious, but the aromatics are amazing so should be enjoyed while that is still going strong.

Cheers!

Back