Group Buy in Chicago #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we set the cutoff for this current buy?

• Close it on Monday, October 8, 2012 11:59 PM

• Close it when we reach 164 sacks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote for a new thread for the hops buy. Once we get some pricing, I'll forward it to my brew club and see what splits we might have room for others to get in on.

Any interest in Falconer's Flight? It's a "blend" (varietal, really) of a bunch of Pacific Northwest hops - Tropical Fruit and Citrus.

Either way, I'd be down to participate, I'm sure.

PseudoChef said:
Any interest in Falconer's Flight? It's a "blend" (varietal, really) of a bunch of Pacific Northwest hops - Tropical Fruit and Citrus.

Either way, I'd be down to participate, I'm sure.

I would try it.

I'm up for 2-4 lbs, preferably whole hop. How can I get a price spreadsheet. I'd also be interested in a bag of 2 row or vienna malt. Also interested in swing top bottles of any kind.

All participants in the next group buy should drop off a bottle of hb at grain/hop pick up for an unformal competition! Maybe we could all pitch in a buck for some kind of prize, maybe a leftover 1/2 split of grain etc. Any takers?

jmg727 said:
All participants in the next group buy should drop off a bottle of hb at grain/hop pick up for an unformal competition! Maybe we could all pitch in a buck for some kind of prize, maybe a leftover 1/2 split of grain etc. Any takers?

How would the informal judging take place?

IMHO, I'd like a Trophy. We have a guy making badass mash paddle's; we give him the cash to make mash paddle trophy's 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

ok, TBU's 2 sacks of organic wheat finally came in today and I am waiting to hear back from him regarding pick up. There is one bag of grain that I picked up for Arcticz1 yesterday. He's up in WI so his daughter will pick it up when she comes to Chicago in a couple of weeks.

This officially closes out Group Buy in Chicago #6. Thanks everyone for participating. And special thanks to ghoti for his extremely helpful database that made this rather large buy much more manageable. I think we ordered a total of 185 sacks of grain and 33 pounds of hops. The next grain group buy that I run will be in March/April 2013. By that time most of us will be needing more glorious grain. Happy brewing!

I'm up for 2-4 lbs, preferably whole hop. How can I get a price spreadsheet. I'd also be interested in a bag of 2 row or vienna malt. Also interested in swing top bottles of any kind.

the sources that Neopol and I have secured only sell hops. The hops group buy will be a true hops buy, i.e. no grain, chemicals, etc.

bmason1623 said:
the sources that Neopol and I have secured only sell hops. The hops group buy will be a true hops buy, i.e. no grain, chemicals, etc.

Sounds good Bill, cant thank you and ghoti enough for all the hard work!!! Will there be a seperate thread for the hops buy? (sorry if thats already been discussed)

mikescooling said:
IMHO, I'd like a Trophy. We have a guy making badass mash paddle's; we give him the cash to make mash paddle trophy's 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

I'm assuming it's me your talking about when you speak of the mash paddles. I made one for ghoti and Bill. I would happily make a some to give away at a competition for group buy folks. It's a hobby of mine and I really like to do it, I don't charge for my paddles, more like trade, or give away. In this case I could surely donate two or three paddles!

bmason1623 said:
How would the informal judging take place?

Maybe a couple of group buyers (anyone that is willing to commit to a time that works for you) to pick up at a specific time at which the judging would occur. Or something like that. I think it would be fun. You could either come up with a winner(s) and/or just decide to add a description of the various hb's to the thread.

wegz15 said:
I midge be an informal judge. Would we judge on preference more than to style?

I would think maybe a best in show style competition would be the best from art. Yes I did get your PM I forgot about it, I'll PM you back sometime tonight about your idea.

wegz15 said:
I midge be an informal judge. Would we judge on preference more than to style?

Sure. I think it would be fun to hear about what our semi-random collection of brewers is up to and have the chance to share what we are doing in person. Nothing like an hb club but more of a way to celebrate each group buy.

Brewed my first batch with bulk grains yesterday! Even having to go buy yeast, the batch only cost a little over $10, and it's a 7.5% IPA.

I can't wait for the hops buy!

forstmeister said:
Brewed my first batch with bulk grains yesterday! Even having to go buy yeast, the batch only cost a little over $10, and it's a 7.5% IPA.

I can't wait for the hops buy!

It may be possible to get batches down to under $5 if you use washed yeast.

sudsmcgee said:
Are you people using sticks and leaves for fire? I use $3 in propane for each batch!

I brewed on the stove. I don't usually count fuel cost. When I do brew outside, it uses a fair amount of propane, probably about what you stated.

bmason1623 said:
It may be possible to get batches down to under $5 if you use washed yeast.

I have tried and failed twice to wash my yeast. I will give it another go this winter when I get a decent yeast. I won't be washing and saving the cake from this US-05 probably.

sudsmcgee said:
Are you people using sticks and leaves for fire? I use $3 in propane for each batch!

I'm referring to ingredients only. But yeah, I use a lot of propane also.

Love my natural gas quick disconnect. No propane runs and the cost per BTU is less. Actually its pretty much impossible to tell on the nicor bill.

Still waiting on confirmation that a account has been setup. Emailed them yesterday so hopefully I'll hear back today.

Ok so maybe I'm reading something wrong but when I check the spreadsheet Bill is the only one who has placed an order? For the amount of chatter on this thread that can't be correct, is it? Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back