Too much Carafa 3. oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanwallner

Reaction score
In my haste I added 8 oz of carafa 3 instead of .08 oz to my german heffe recipe. Im brewing this for a october fest party and was trying to keep it drinkable for the non beer geeks. MY question is what should a expect. If its more dunkel ish that would be ok. I still have time to do another. Thanks for your help

Should be interesting. It will be almost black in color for sure however the Carafa III doesn't add a ton of flavor (say like chocolate malt) - just a touch of roastiness.

What's the rest of the grain bill?

I use 8oz of debittered black which is basicallynthe same carafa III for my black IPA. Your brew will be as dark as a stout. You will basically have a black heffe. Could be interesting.

5 lbs wheat and 3.5 lbs munich. Will it be more like a bock. Im using wiehenstephan yeast( or I was going to ) Really wanted a bavarian syle hefeweise

Well, you were kinda on your way to a Dunkel-Weizen using Munich instead of Pils anyway :)

Did you use Carafa 3 or Carafa "special" 3 ? The special will just add color but the regular will get you roastiness too

Just the regular Dustbow. A chocolate Hefe might not be too bad. Could work well with the sweetness of the yeast. It only calls for .75 oz at 60. I wonder if now it might handle more to try and balance it out. I have another .75 available?

however the Carafa III doesn't add a ton of flavor (say like chocolate malt) - just a touch of roastiness

it sure does, I used 0.25 lbs in my Altbier #2 and I could taste it for 3 months untill it finally mellowed out and blended with other flavors. And my Alt was dark, I think OP will definatelly taste it and see it

it sure does, I used 0.25 lbs in my Altbier #2 and I could taste it for 3 months untill it finally mellowed out and blended with other flavors. And my Alt was dark, I think OP will definatelly taste it and see it

Perhaps you used Carafa III and not Carafa III "Special De-Bittered"? Normal Carafa does contribute some roast flavors.

Just an update. Checked the hefe tonight and transferred for a cold crash. Excellent flavor and perfect dunkel color. Turned out to be a good mistake after all

Latest posts

Back