Northern Brewer or AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NB in this case, they are a little closer and they aren't swamped with orders like AHS is. You'll get it quicker from NB. Both are can't miss as far as quality.

Flywheel said:
I've made the NB kit, but switch the order of the hops (on purpose). Turned out fantastic.

Which kit? I wanna try it nothing like being a rule breaker

I tried an AHS Irish Red all grain kit a few months ago and was very pleased with how it turned out. One of my favorite beers to date. I have not however tried any other Irish Red kits out there though, so I guess I can't compare it.

I have the NB Irish Red extract kit in primary right now (SWMBO's favorite). I've made it a few times and it has never let me down.

I tried an AHS Irish Red all grain kit a few months ago and was very pleased with how it turned out. One of my favorite beers to date. I have not however tried any other Irish Red kits out there though, so I guess I can't compare it.

I'm brewing the extract version of this tonight. I haven't tried any other Reds either.

Ok thanks I can't wait it's for my friend that's helping my Kolsch was too bitter so I'm making this with some extra 2 row so he doesn't complain I want it to be really malty and maybe slightly sweet. Orange zest? Would that be a nice addition?

Ok thanks I can't wait it's for my friend that's helping my Kolsch was too bitter so I'm making this with some extra 2 row so he doesn't complain I want it to be really malty and maybe slightly sweet. Orange zest? Would that be a nice addition?

Which one are you brewing?

Ya I would get it but like I said I want minimal bitterness wait couldn't i boil bittering hops at 45min instead of 60min and the flavor hops at 15min instead of 30min to get more flavor less bitterness?

NB actually gives you the recipe ahead of time. I received a kolsch once with late addition hops from AHS. Completely out of style. Never order a kit again that i can't see the actual ingredients ahead of time.

doctorRobert said:
NB actually gives you the recipe ahead of time. I received a kolsch once with late addition hops from AHS. Completely out of style. Never order a kit again that i can't see the actual ingredients ahead of time.

+1 With NB I actually know what I'm getting with my kit.

I agree. I never bought kits from them. As many as they have I'd bet there is some redundancy. It's great place to buy from. I just wish they were more up front about what I'm buying. I like to know all I can when I buy. I want to know the maltster, the lovibond and the PPG for the grain I buy. They don't always list enough info that I could buy from them and reproduce previous brews. I think they might change things without notice. They certainly could because they don't tell you what your buying.

I actually asked them why the kolsch kit had 2 ounces of late addition hops, including fuggles. Something that out of style, i think should be disclosed.

They said they have 2 full time employees that design recipes so they cant disclose any information.

I dont get it.

Back