When dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dry hopping do you ...

• Transfer to secondary

• Dry hop in the primary

Results are only viewable after voting.

brewtastic

Reaction score
For those of you without a conical. Do you transfer into secondary over hops or do you just add them to your primary vessel after most of fermentation is done?

I put mine into the secondary and rack the beer on to them. Im sure there are many ways of doing this but you defiantly want the primary fermentation to be done with.

yeah Ive done it both ways before. Adding to primary after fermentation is done. I'm trying to figure out what gives the best hop aroma or of there is even a difference

after a week to 10 days i add any dry hop. reduces handling and oxidation from transfering from vessel to vessel. works great.

Hey,

I'm letting a pale ale sit in a secondary with some dry cascades. It's been around 2 weeks since I've brewed, and 1 week since I racked. How long is it recommended to dryhop this style?

Thanks!

one week at 65-70 deg is plenty of time for a dry hop. The colder the beer is the longer it needs to sit in there for dry hopping.

Have always done it in secondary but see a lot of people going with no secondary at all. Might try that on my batch that is in primary right now. Was going to transfer tomorrow or the next but might just dry hop and see how things turn out.

keg
or in the case of something requiring several additions I might start in primary and then do the rest in the keg.

only secondary I use is for lagering (keg).

Back