Burn Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
I have a question that I would like to post everyone. I have been getting everywhere from 1/2 to 1 gallon of burn off the last three batches I have made.

does anyone have any suggestions to minimize burn off?

Thanks, and everyone enjoy one on me!:mug:

It's supposed to do that. What size pot are you boiling in? I like to go with a bigger boil than a standard beer kit directions would call for. The bigger the boil, the more flavor you get out of your hops.

Boil off is necessary to remove DMS and your results are within normal. The goal is to end up with about 5-5.5 gallons. You can top off, but it's hard to concentrate the wort once the boil is done..

Ok..Thanks for the reply. It seemed very high to me, but I am no expert. Thanks for the reply and the comments!:mug:

as far as tips, do some controlled tests with water, your normal boil volumes and times, and see how much you truly lose.

It'll be useful info in the future, especially for all grain brewing, where the goal is NO top-off water and a full-boil that ends up about 5.5gallons.

Back