Where to get a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_lohmann

Reaction score
Where does one look to get an old keg to convert to a keggle? I've searched my local craigslist and found nothing. Do you get them from your local bar, package store or what? When selecting a keg for keggle making, what attributes of the keg should be considered?

Thanks.

beware that kegs are a testy subject for some people on here - regarding buying possibly stolen kegs/stealing kegs.

That being said the best place to find them is craigslist or searchtempest.com I have some friends that run a beer distributor and offered to sell me kegs for the deposit price but unless you can buddy up to someone like that craigslist is your best bet.

Of course you can buy them new for around 150 a pop. Usually the ones I see online for sale range between 30 and 50 a keg - a decent price.

Get a stainless steel keg, without rubber coating on the outside. Almost all the new kegs are stainless steel.

I got really lucky on my second keg my brother-in-law lives in a yuppie area and his next-door nabior put a keg on the curb for trash pick up so he grabbed it.for me

I got two of mine from an ad I placed in craigslist. Two for $40, they were covered in about three years worth of dust and grime - one had about a gallon of beer in it. They cleaned up fine.

If you have any local breweries in the area stop by and ask them if they have any old kegs they may be willing to sell. It’s a long shot but you never know. Also, if they will send you one or two you know it is above board.

If you have any local breweries in the area stop by and ask them if they have any old kegs they may be willing to sell. It’s a long shot but you never know. Also, if they will send you one or two you know it is above board.

I stopped at my local micro brewery and got three for $20.00 apiece. I asked if it was legal and was told they were.

I live in a college town so there are kegs everywhere and on Craigslists every day. I second the idea of asking your friends. I got a Coors keg from a buddy that had it hiding in the back of his yard for a few years.

Easy solution:

1. Buy a full keg of whatever you feel like drinking
2. Invite friends over
3. Float Keg
4. ???
5. You now own a keg shell.

Out come the wolves indeed......... what the hell is number 4? It is highly unethical and maybe illegal to not fill us in on your drunken shanagins

Back