bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph

Reaction score
The possibility has just risen for me to make a ridiculously large batch of beer and I am quite interested in doing so the only problem is I have nowhere near enough bottles for it and don't have the money to go out and buy them. Does anybody know if you can use empty liquor bottles and just screw the top back on really tightly as I do have quite a few of them around the house.

I'm surprised how many micro brewery's use screw top bottles.

I'll have to count my collection of 60 in the basement but I would say 40% are screw tops!

I'd use 2L plastic soda bottles before I'd use any kind of non-pressurized glass.

It's not the screwtop mensch is talking about when he says not to use it, he's referring to the thickness of the glass. It's not rated for pressure and neither is the cap. If the cap didn't blow, then the glass could fail instead. +1 on the 2L soda bottles.

I dont know where you're from but if you live in a state with bottle redemption just go to the center there and try and buy the bottles off of them at 5 or 10 cents. If thats not possible try a local recycling center if you have one...it may require some picking (wear heavy gloves!) but it could give you a decent turnout.

Maybe bug your neighbors?

Buy more beer and drink it fast...that is the best way. Throw a party and tell you buddies to bring over beer with pop tops and then you are set. Just buy the meat and then you get the bottles.

Back