Moving to 10 gallon batch ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambam26

Reaction score
Ok so I am going to attempt a 10 gallon batch next week, what challenges can I expect other then strike temp changes? I got my numbers figured out I believe but is there any other things I need to do different then with a 5 gallon batch?:ban:

Not much, just some little things. Like it'll take longer to chill, and maybe longer to come to a boil depending on how you sparge. Otherwise, I almost make 10 gallon batches now as a 5 gallon batch is just as much work as 10 gallons!

My husband used to try to stop me from making 10 gallon batches, as it seemed excessive. But he's now the biggest proponent for the bigger batches. Twice as much beer for the same amount of time and effort. If you have the mash tun, boil kettle, burner, etc that can handle it, it's so worth it!

I just did my first 10g batch last weekend. It's all the same, just keep an eye on your hot break. Mine went nuts, probably just noticed it for the first time in months since switching to a keggle for my brewpot.

I have done a ten gallon all grain batch and a 5 gallon and the only thing that was really any different to me was lifting bigger quantity of liquids.

Thats kinda my logic, if I am going to brew why not brew a bit more! Thanks for the replies everyone........

The biggest thing for me was the temp-control getting a bit wonky. I put my fermenter in a temp controlled freezer, and the cooling can be a bit uneven. And it fluctuates a bit more than when I just had the 5 gallon setup.

Ok so I did my first batch today, ugggggg it was a disaster! first I had problems hitting my mash temp , once I finally got the temp I wanted I let it sit then I forgot to get my sparge water going! And sparge water for a 10 gallon batch takes a while to heat up! Once I got my water to temp, it was 120 minutes 2 times the mash time I had planned for.... So then I got the boil going after a nice slow sparge, and what happens next? I ran out of propane, I was switching tanks like a mad man from my RV to my BBq etc...... anyways I finally finished and got the yeast pitched. The outcome is well very much in question..... I learned a lot though and will make next time much smoother!!!

I find 10 gallon batches quite useful for experimenting. Did a 10 gallon shiner bock clone, split it into 2 gallon fermenters and pitched a lager to one and an ale to the other. Another 10 gallon Guiness stout clone was split and one went under temp control the other tossed in my spare shower. You get the idea.

Back