Officially in the club.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkdog

Reaction score
My wife and I brewed a batch of NB's British Bitter today, our first. It's in the basement patiently awaiting yeast activity. Looking forward to drinking the fruits of our labor in a few weeks. Thanks to all of the folks here whose expertise helped make today as relaxing a first brewday as a guy could want.

Congrats on the first brew! :mug: A bitter is a fantastic first brew in my opinion, lots of great flavours, nice and easy to make and a classic style to boot.

Better get started on #2 right away, that first one disappears quick! :D

Thanks! I've just ordered the ingredients for batch number two- a "strong ale" from AHS. After reading here a bit, I've decided to give dry yeast a shot on that one, as the OG will be high enough to require a starter if I used liquid. Looking forward to more brewing and learning, and maybe a little drinking beer too.:mug:

Just racked my first batch over to secondary- had a FG of 1.009, which I'm pleased with. Tasted the hydrometer sample, and I'm excited about this brew. The hop bitterness was pretty pronounced, but I expect that to mellow in the weeks to come. Otherwise, it was the tastiest flat warm green beer I can remember. I think I've made some good beer here.

Congrats! :mug:

There's nothing like that first taste of your first batch! Just remember to be patient! If you think it's good now, wait until it's been 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle. :D

elkdog said:
J Otherwise, it was the tastiest flat warm green beer I can remember. I think I've made some good beer here.

And it'll only get better with carbing and some time in the bottle. Congrats!

Just to bring closure to this thread- my wife and I popped the cap on our Ordinary Bitter last night, and it's a success. After reading this forum for months before starting brewing and then waiting for it to be ready, it was really nice to watch a basketball game while enjoying a couple of the beers we made. Another batch gets bottled on Saturday, and the ingredients for 2 more are on their way...

That's a great feeling. Popping your homebrew cherry. If you're like me, you'll think that your first beer is amazing. Then you'll get consumed by this hobby and before you know it you'll be making beers that are just as good as, if not better, than the micros that you can buy at the store.

Welcome to the obsession.

Thanks guys. BM, the American Wheat I'm about to make is pretty much a poor man's take (read: extract) on your Litehaus Wheat, so thanks for that.

Obsession is the right word. If my first batch compared favorably to a store-bought bitter, I can't wait to see what happens when I get good at this. Looking to go Partial-Mash in a month or two; AG when I can swing the extra equipment.

Back