What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took delivery of two guest beers to hold me off until my SMaSH brews are done. Thanks, Fish.

tapped my surly furious keg......mmmmm
cleaned furious better bottle, what a chore, wanted to soak it longer but....
brewed an IPA(chinook, citra, amarillo, simcoe), first AG batch...ended up with way too much liquid, apparently I need to recalibrate my volume stick.

Tried my chocolate/coffee stout, cleaned my brew kettle for tomorrow's brew day (another partial mash Cascade Pale Ale), and shopped around for materials to finish my 48 qt mash tun. I'm going to buy some bulk grains next week (50 lb 2 row, 10 lb Marris Otter), so I'm ready to go when my AG setup is ready.

Installed my new 12" domed false bottom in my mash tun and tested the dead space. Just a hair under a cup with the FB as opposed to about half a quart with the SS braid. After installing the tubing to connect the FB to the bulkhead I had about 6" left over, so I used about an inch of it to make an extension from the bottom to increase the amount of wort I got out of it.

Measured and crushed my grains for tomorrow morning... decided to hold off on weighing out my hop additions until I see what gravity I'm working with (I just tightened the gap on my mill and installed a new manifold in my MLT, so efficiency is a question mark).

Moved my rye super alpha saison in the upper barn. 2 days around 70 down stairs and temp reading about 87 up there hope this 3724 will finish out so i dont have to use some 007 to dry it out

ForumRunner_20120805_121202.jpg

Brewing my Panama Red American Wheat. The red color will be derived from some Cara-red, Carafa II, Roasted Barley and a Beet! Hops to be Sorachi, Ahtanum, and Amarillo, excited about this one for sure!

Racked my American Brown IPA to dry hop with Amarillo and Simcoe, this one will definitely be super tasty:)

I did a few things for beer today. I took one of my gallon batches of cider and stuck it in the fridge to cold crash it. I will be bottling my first batch if brown ale (5 gallons). Last, but certainly not least, I went to a garage sale and found a 21 quart stock pot for $5 :). This will make my next brewing adventure much easier!

Raised my Vanilla Pumpkin Lager to 65 F for a d-rest and labeled my jars of harvested yeast. I figure it's a good practice to get into since I plan on building a library of yeast.

Racked my pale ale into secondary and dry hopped with citra hops. Seriously I cant get enough of these things. Going to start putting them into every summer time brew we do.

Started my second job at my local hb store yesterday , getting paid in trade for supplies and knowledge. Started a Octoberfest today!

drank some! and then some more... a nice hoppy amber- shared with a hesitant neighbor who said- "this is good beer!" damn right...

Brewed the American Amber recipe in BCS. It was a pretty good brew day; I think I'm figuring out the best way to use my system in my new house. :ban:

I started working on my pumpkin ale recipe. I know I'm probably a little late with it, but this will be my first brew day since my daughter was born. I posted a question in the General Techniques section about how pumpkin affects mash temperature. So, if any experienced all grain brewers want to provide some input, I'd appreciate it.

Put an order in for more grain, sat back and enjoyed an undercarbed brown ale. Messed up the priming on this batch. I didn't make a priming syrup and racking over the sugar didn't mix it in. I didn't stir, I forgot to. I haven't been bottling in a while, so getting used to doing it again.

I have a Frigidaire dorm room fridge....there is a water drip hole, I drilled two new holes next to it, ran new Gas line out...filled with Great Stuff to keep the cold in and just have the CO2 on the side of the fridge now.

In-laws are in town for a visit, so I have been doing a lot of beer evangelism. MIL has never liked any beer but mine (Hefe is her favorite), and Budlite drinking FIL has been liking just about anything we try--Pils, Saison, Belgian abbey and DSAs at a bar, even my arrogant bastard and 60 min IPA clones. I might get to bottle a amber later in the week.

Today I sanded down three wooden crates for 12oz bottles, and will be staining them tomorrow. I also checked on my american wheat that I brewed over the weekend, and my summer weizen from last weekend.

Racked my vanilla pumpkin lager to secondary and commenced lagering. It'll be sitting there for about a month and half. Just enough time to have it in the bottle a month before drinking it on Halloween.

Tonight I'm brewing my own recipe for a Honey Hibiscus Wheat (which could be the last lighter colored batch for the year) while drinking some Liberty Ale from Anchor Steam.

Transferred my brown ale to a secondary fermenter this morning. First time attempting that. I usually just keep it in a primary for the duration. I added some saniclean sanitizer to the airlock and some of it spilled over into the carboy as I moved it. Will this harm the brew? I know this is a noobie question.

For a non-brew day I did a butt ton (technical term) for beer today:

1) Went to the LHBS to pick up 80# of grain and some other odds and ends
2) Distributed said grains between various grain storage receptacles
3) Installed my sight glass and valve into my kettle
4) Started a starter for the oatmeal stout I'll be brewing this weekend
5) By accomplishing 4, broke my stir plate's cherry
6) Calibrated my sight glass

Unwrapped $14 2L bomex erlenmeyer from amazon, filled it with water, dropped in a 1.25" stir bar with a couple o-rings on it, put it on the DIY stir plate.

Full vortex. Even cavitates and gurgles at full speed. :rockin:

Cut 2 more holes in my keg fridge door for more shanks. I will have to get a wider drip tray if I keep this up. Four on faucets and the super secret stash in the back on the cobra.

On my way home from work to keg up my watermelon wheat. Can't wait to see how it turnd out!!

Bottled 5 gallon's of Edwort's Apfelwein (okay, technically not beer, but I will be kegging my IPA in a day or so).

I dumped a gallon glass bottle of 5 day old diluted star san which had serious bacteria growing in it. I drank awesome beer and loved it. I shook out SN wheat beer dregs into old wort to see what will happen.

Cleaned up some bottles, split the starter I crashed this morning, re-pitched the starter for tomorrow's brew. Drank a few War Dog Ales. Good beer, I just wish I had gotten the priming sugar right and gotten the proper carbonation. It is carbed, just too lightly for the strength of the beer.

Bottled an Imperial nut brown that finished @ 7.75 ABV........bought 15 lbs of wildflower honey from my local beekeper and stopped by my local homebrewer to pick up the ends for my annual mead......and gathered some goodies dor an oktoberfest!!!!!! I love my hobby!

Washed and delabeled more bottles... dreamed about buying kegs at the LHBS while buying ingredients for tomorrows first AG BIAB session.

Back