Foam all over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Chuco

Reaction score
Hello This is my first post and first attempt at making brew. I am sure this might have been asked before but I could not find a thread about it so excuse if its a repost. I finished reading the great book "Joy of Home Brewing" after buying my kit a week ago. I read a Zymurgy article on first time batch and some instructions given to me by my beer supply store. So I made my first batch last night and left it in the primary fermenter (6 gallon plastic bucket) with the airlock.

I woke up today and saw foam all over the top of the plastic fermenter and it was bubbling more and more. So I cleaned up the mess and went to work. Came back and it was still bubbling with foam coming out of the airlock. So my questions are:

1) Is this normal, I only heard it mentioned in the charlie papzian book that I might need a hose to extract this.

2) Did I use too much water (used 2.5 to boil the wort and 3 gallons at room temperature)?

3) Is the batch ruined and do I need to start over?

I am making a hefe-wiesen beer with some liquid yeast that I pitched after th e wort had cooled. I sanitized everything that could have touched the wort. So I am not sure if i did something wrong.

I might not have time tommarow to stop by the beer supply store ask these questions so I thought maybe some vets might know.

Thanks! :cross:

Dude, you're cool. You're just having a blowout. You could put on a blow out tube. Search this forum for that subject and you should find out how to do that. Walker posted a month or so ago about how to do that. Happens all the time, especially with Weisens. You're water level might be a bit high, but it should be cool. Stick with 5 gallons for best results. Batch is definitely not ruined. Pull your airlock, sanitize it and reattach. You're making beer!

heh thank you and now im kinda fealing like a rookie ( i didnt see the search function on top for some reason), thanks for replying. Now I can go to bed knowing I didnt mess it up :) . Had to move it from the the breakfast area to my pantry since the foam made that area smell like mardi gras. I stuck one of my rubber hoses to the airlock and transfering it to a cooler.

you mean just letting the blow out go to a cooler? I think you should put some clean water in the cooler as a large sized air lock. You're in good shape, just need to make sure you're keeping stuff from getting through that tube.

You had a blowout on your first batch? You obviously have great potential as a homebrewer. Took me eight or ten batches.

Back