just got highest efficiency yet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletchsj

Reaction score
Just brewed an Imperial IPA today and got exceptional results on my efficiency. 90% ! will have to see how it turns out still but for batch sparging and 20 min of recirc (same as always) thought it was pretty impressive. The only thing I changed was a new hop spyder and that shouldn't have made a difference.

Nice. I got my highest (batch) on my last brew day at 78%.

So you vorlauf for 20 minutes? I usually only do about 5, I may have to be more patient next time I brew.

yeah I mash for about 20-25 min then hook up the pump and recirculate for another 20. I guess it's called vorlaufing but really i think of vorlauf as pulling off a few qts and dumping back in a few times.

thanks, i think it might have been because of the water treatment i used. i'm not water expert but I just read that baking soda can help to increase conversion. i added 3 tsp to my water along with an oz of gypsum and 2 tsp of calcium carbonate. we'll see. I'm sure someone with better knowledge will chime in. It ended up right at 1072 and according to pro mash should be right at 102 IBUs.we'll see how far it ferments down. using us-04

what is your crush set at? Did you condition prior to crushing? Just wondering to see if i can improve my crush. im set at .029 right now and i condition about an hr prior to crushing.

It's bubbling away in the fermenter so ill find out in a few weeks when a transfer to keg to carboy and age a bit. But haven't gotten astringency yet in my beers. Wort tasted great. Hoppy and sweet.

As far as crush. I'm not exactly sure. I can ask brewbrothers... I just buy on their ledger system and they crush it fresh when I need it. It's certainly a good crush that is consistent and by no means flour.

Lol as far as conditioning well if you consider sitting for a week in a half in the bag crushed... (i put the bag in an extra air tight fermenter bucket till I use it.) Something came up on my brewday and had to put brewing off for about 10 days. So, there is chance I might have a funky beer come drinking time... Small but a chance

Back