Adding a creamy finish to home brews.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind or style of beer are you talking about? If it is a sout or such I would say lactose. Of it's not maltodextrine or Carapils grain will add mouth feel. You could also look into nitrogen. Really fits stouts but can be used in all styles with some creativity. Kinda depends on if your a style brewer or not?

A brewer at a all lager house told me that using lager yeast with an ale style makes it creamier. Not sure if I believe it. It probably just makes it less flavorful.

Thanks for the responses I guess I am meaning a little of everything. Right now I am making a nutty brown ale with Hints of nutmeg and ginger for Xmas. Just thought I would ask for a few opinions on what people thought???

Thanks for the responses I guess I am meaning a little of everything. Right now I am making a nutty brown ale with Hints of nutmeg and ginger for Xmas. Just thought I would ask for a few opinions on what people thought???

Flaked barley and flaked oats do wonders. I use 15% in stouts and 8-10 in browns/porters. Lactose will add lots of extra sweetness.

Adding oats will give your beer a nice creamy mouthfeel at the expense of leaving a haze in the beer. I think it is a fair trade off and have repeated a recipe because of the taste of the beer with the oats.

Adding oats will give your beer a nice creamy mouthfeel at the expense of leaving a haze in the beer. I think it is a fair trade off and have repeated a recipe because of the taste of the beer with the oats.

I don't know exactly how they do it or how much oats they use, but Founders makes an Oatmeal IPA thats served on Co2. Nearly completely clear but super creamy/oaty. I'm wondering if lots of cold crashing and fining agents would help with haze.

Back