2 year old beer safe to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be a touch dyslexic, when I looked at the title to this thread I thought it said, "Two year old safe to drink beer?"
My three year old nephew has helped me brew, but he has a couple years before he gets a taste. But, he loves the spent grain beer bread.

OP, yeah it's safe. Might be past its prime, but depending on storage, it might even be good.

if it doesn't taste like crap drink it. it won't make you sick.. it might taste bad.. 5% is a bit low ABV to age that long but it might just be awesome!!!!! Drink it and stop worrying!

I'm interested in finding out if it's a tasty one or not. Please let us know!

I stash one bottle from every batch in a closet hidden away. I dont look at it until the one year anniversary of bottling it. I have never gotten sick and in some cases found the beer was considerably better. I say go for it!

Definitely safe and as long as your careful about oxygen it'll most likely be good.

My story: when i was in the navy, I let the fermentation temp get out of control during a couple hot summer days in Norfolk. The beer was horrible a month after bottling. Then 9/11 happened and I wasn't home a lot for a for a few years. I had a party with some buddies ( some being big beer snobs) in 2005 to finish off all my homebrew before I transferred and it was wonderful.

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that there are vertical tasting for certain beers like Stone epic, where people collect each years beer and then sample a flight of them going back in time.

Nothing pathogenic can grow in beer.

I opened a Barley Wine that I had stored in my attic (accident) for over 15 years. It was pretty darn good. Go for it!

I had one of my first brew batches that "blew out" the carboy. I relocked it and put it back in the closet. Being my first batch i didnt know about things like temp control. I left it on the yeast for about 6 weeks and finally got around to bottleing. Afer few week the beer was very "hot" and had alot fofoff flavors. I put it back in the closet and forgot about it for about two years. I recently refound it in the closet and it has considerably mellowed. Now tastes pretty good. ETOH about 10% so may have something to do with it.

Along the same line...maybe...I have a brew in a carboy that is about a year old...no water in the airlock for a long time....should I taste it or dump it?

After aging most of mine i only found a pumpkin brew with munich yeast after 6 months start to get an old yeast taste but pretty mild and still good, but there is a liquor store which doesnt have a high turn over for craft beer and a lot of them i noticed sit for years, some of those i can see the broken up yeast that easily floats, this is how mine was and i did get a stale yeast taste like those in the store, other than this one exception alot of my others well over 6 months are very good even pale ales and ipa's.

werd,beer to the homzyz. what? dit dat? doody! fo pas fo realzzzz,. oh no, Thats not what im sayin. Last call,ohhhhhh...

My three year old nephew has helped me brew, but he has a couple years before he gets a taste. But, he loves the spent grain beer bread.

OP, yeah it's safe. Might be past its prime, but depending on storage, it might even be good.

I sure hope you really mean "a couple" of years. My dad was born in Germany but moved to the states when he was about 22. There was always beer on the dinner table and I was never told "NO" you can't taste Papa's beer.

Ok, I tasted it. Put it in a keg to see what it's like carbed up, but I still have a question.... shouldn't I be able to take a gravity reading on it? The hydrometer (right word?) didn't appear to want to float in it.

my first beer was a 1.035 english bitter. I saved one bottle and opened it after two years. It was really good!

...And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

C'mon now... don't tell me you aren't gonna have a sneak-taste at some point before that!

I would probably taste one on each anniversary, because I would be WAY too curious.

Congrats on having patience..

Ok, I tasted it. Put it in a keg to see what it's like carbed up, but I still have a question.... shouldn't I be able to take a gravity reading on it? The hydrometer (right word?) didn't appear to want to float in it.

It shouldn't sit very high at all on the hydrometer. Do you have enough beer in the vial you float the hydrometer in? post fermentation it will be close to 1.000 depending on your attenuation.

Not all old beer is good. I had a keg that sat in a closet for 2 years. When I finally hooked it up and carbed it, it tasted like wet cardboard. Of course, it may have tasted like that when fresh. I have no way of knowing. But I do think it had oxidized.

Back