Dead Guy clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbarron

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a recipe for one of my favorite brews, Rogue's Dead Guy Ale (technically a maibock). Based on other clone recipes I've found and info I found on the Rogue website, I've come up with this. Comments/suggestions would be appreciated. FWIW, the Rogue website states: "Dead Guy Ale is made from Two-Row Harrington, Klages, Carastan and Maier Munich Malts, Perle and Saaz Hops," has an IBU of 40, 16 Plato, and color of 16 deg L.

8# 2-row
3# munich
1# crystal (about 20 L)
1# carastan
1 oz Perle for 90min
.5 oz Saaz for 30min
.5 oz Saaz for 15min

Mash at 152 for one hour, sparge 175 to collect 6.5 gallons of wort (assuming eff. about 65%). Boil for 90 min, ferment 5 gal at around 65 or so using one of the California Ale yeasts.

TIA!

Beer Captured has Dead Guy using:

9.75 lb of 2-row
.75 lb of Dextrin Malt
.75 lb Belgian Caramunich
.75 lb German Munich
.5 lb 40L Crystal

1 oz of Perle for bittering
1/4 oz each of perle and Saaz 15 min til end of boil.

Recommended yeasts are wyeast 1338 or 1056. Looks like you're pretty close, though. I plan on doing this one really soon. Dead Guy is deeeelicious.

I just received a Dead Guy Clone kit from Homebrewer Suppy.com

9.3 lbs Liquid Gold Extract
Rogue Dead Guy Kit Grains (3/4 lb. Crystal 35L)
1 oz. Perle Hops
and .5oz Czech Saaz Hops

I'll be brewin it Saturday. Can't wait.:D

Recent issue of Zymurgy magazine has a clone recipe in it. I plan on trying to brew the AG of it in the next couple of weeks.

Back