Rye Ale Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwedishChef

Reaction score
I've never created my own recipe, but I wanted a simple rye beer and I was wondering how this sounded. Any advice is appreciated.

Here's what I got.

8# Pale Malt
2# Rye Malt
1 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 2
1 oz Cascade dry hopped
1 pack Nottingham yeast

Thanks!

I like the looks of it as is, but if you want some body in it at all--mash high. Notty has a tendency to dry beer out.

I'm about to bottle BYO's Terrapin Rye pale ale clone and grav. samples are tasty. It had 4% honey malt which really compliments the rye well.

I used notty on it, mashed at ~ 157F and it finished at 1.013FG from 1.060SG

Well your beer is a rye one but it won't be red. You will need to add some specialty malts like small amounts of roasted barely or chocolate malt - target at least 14 SRM. I would consider adding a bit of crystal malt for body and sweetness to balance the bitterness, but you don't need it. 4% honey malt would be a nice touch. Right now the beer is a bit one dimensional IMHO but it should still turn out a nice beer.

Yeah, I was kind of planning on one dimensional. I got the idea from the SMaSH threads, so it was kind of a SMaSH +1 thing. I have never brewed with rye before so I figured it would help give me a feel for the flavor rye adds. What do you think of the hops amounts/times?

I've made something fairly similar before as a summer quencher and liked it more than I thought I would. One thing I'd suggest is subbing in a different hop, one that might let the rye be the showcase, if that's what you're after.

Yeah, I was kind of planning on one dimensional. I got the idea from the SMaSH threads, so it was kind of a SMaSH +1 thing. I have never brewed with rye before so I figured it would help give me a feel for the flavor rye adds. What do you think of the hops amounts/times?

I think it's an excellent hop schedule. It will compliment the flavors imparted from the rye. I would suggest tasting before dry hopping and then thinking hard about how much aroma/flavor you want to add to the beer.

Let your tastebuds guide your dry hop amount.

I just took 3rd in category 10 for the Upper Mississippi Mash Out with almost that exact recipe.

7.25Lbs 2-Row
2 Lbs. Rye
0.50 Lbs. Caramel 60L
0.25 Lbs Cara-Pils

Cascade for hopping

Mashed @ 150F for 60 minutes

Fermented WY1450 @ 62F

Yeah, I was kind of planning on one dimensional.

I was thinking about this beer. I know where you're coming from with trying to get a feel for the rye, but it's going to be lacking in body.

If you want a little body in this beer without affecting the flavor or color, you might consider adding a lb. of carapils to it. It won't affect the flavor but will boost the body a bit.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it as well and I think I've settled on a combination of different people's ideas (thanks for all the advice btw). Here's what I got:

7# Pale Malt
2# Rye Malt
.5# Caramel 60
.25# CaraPils
.25 Honey Malt
Nottingham Yeast

1 oz Cascade @ 60
" @ 30
" @ 2

Looks like it has been a while since you did your research- any results to share? Looking at building something similar myself- I like your simplicity and the advice you received. Curious about tasting notes- perhaps you can share so I can guide my own recipe construction? Replies are much appreciated!

If interested, or care to give feedback on my own rye recipe- please take a look:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1620360

Back