Ultimate home brewery.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 50 liter one (about 13 G) is US$2500. Still cheaper than a Sabco. Maybe less DIY than most guys like and a little hands-off, but I like the workmanship and the clean lines!

All you need is a 240 line. But if you have a pool, a spa or a electric clothes drier you will just need to run an extension....

I wonder what shipping would be and what kinda warranty they have? They need a US distribution point. It is the perfect apartment setup

I was going to call them after the holidays about that. They are closed till January 6 (thanks to the German Holiday plan....). I will report back!

Since I am German, I am sure they'll provide me with a free sample, if I sell a few over here....

I kind of like climbing my ladder and replacing all my worn out hoses and cleaning pots on the driveway... people would expect so much more if I had a shiny brew set up.

Which is a long way of saying... I am waiting to hear on the import of that german model.

I want to put something together like this.

3tier.jpg

Lots of fun rigs on this site.

http://www.brewzilla.nl/?brewhalla

I just watched the video for this compact German system and it looks like they have an upside down rims! Did I see a "false bottom" placed on the top of the mash tun and then see the liquid level rise and overflow into the heating element area?

I haven't fully grasped how this system opperates yet? any experts or fluent german speakers sussed it out yet?

I just watched the video for this compact German system and it looks like they have an upside down rims! Did I see a "false bottom" placed on the top of the mash tun and then see the liquid level rise and overflow into the heating element area?

I haven't fully grasped how this system opperates yet? any experts or fluent german speakers sussed it out yet?

That is exactly what you saw. The mash water is pumped up through the "grain cylinder" and heated with perimeter heaters.
I have been eyeballing this for a while. I like the compact design. What I don't like is the fact that there is no sparge function. If you want to sparge you have to heat your sparge volume on a second heat source and rinse by hand by dumping water into the gran cylinder when it is in the drain position.
I am curious what the efficiency would be if you just mashed with your full volume(mash in + sparge) for a 5 gallon batch in the 50L system.

Man, I'm drooling. Maybe in a few years I could afford a system like one of these. I love living in small houses (less to clean!) so that Speidels Braumeister system looks like just the thing. I too am curious about the efficiency, though. I wonder if there is a German homebrewing forum somewhere with folks like us talking over its merits? If so, I wonder if there's someone here that speaks German who could find and translate such a thing.... :)

well, they seem to like it. I guess the efficiency is similar to a Brutus 20 or other RIMS system without a true sparge.
I'd love to have one, too. The only issue, as I stated before is the power supply over here. Lots of Volts and Watts needed...

DUH, But I could be prejudice.
img1657v.jpg

With all due respect, that thing is a beauty!!! Fully controlled, yet still gas fired. I just can't justify running 240V diagonally thru my house. Surely, this thing is more $$$ then the Speidel. If not, let me know where you live and I will pick it up. Or at least you could donate the plans, :)

Still, Lehr, you are a Basterd for having such a nice machine!!! :D

Freundliche Gruesse!

BC50b.jpg

a really sweet 50-60 ltre system made in Quebec at
http://www.stainlesssteelspec.com/html/an/products.htm

I looked at the specs on this system and they have 3.5 KW elements in the HLT and BK. We have guys here wanting to put two 4.5 KW elements in each vessel for 10 gallon batches. Is this brewery under powered or are some of the guys here who are building electric breweries going ape-chit with the elements?

Currently I use 2 ea. 2500 watt elements in my brewery. 5000 watts to boil then maintain with 2500. They are more than enough for a 5 gallon batch and will do the job for a 10 gallon batch. I do find myself wishing for another 1000 watts to get 10 gallons up to boil.

I looked at the specs on this system and they have 3.5 KW elements in the HLT and BK. We have guys here wanting to put two 4.5 KW elements in each vessel for 10 gallon batches. Is this brewery under powered or are some of the guys here who are building electric breweries going ape-chit with the elements?

I think we are going ape chit with elements. The 4500W Bk has an insane boil rate, close to 2 gph. Though I don't think I want anything less than that for 10gal batches. 5500W is like shootin for the moon ;)

I am using a 1250W element in my RIMS and it is barely enough power, It takes a long time to get temps up to mash and mash out, and I sure as heck am not doing any step mashing with it. I know you use a 1500W unit and that may be the magic number.

We're still kind of pioneering it. When I started I was preached to about the horrors of scorching my wort and extra caramelization making a darker beer. I think we debunked most of that. Still a lot of fine details to work out

With all due respect, that thing is a beauty!!! Fully controlled, yet still gas fired. I just can't justify running 240V diagonally thru my house. Surely, this thing is more $$$ then the Speidel. If not, let me know where you live and I will pick it up. Or at least you could donate the plans, :)

Still, Lehr, you are a Basterd for having such a nice machine!!! :D

Freundliche Gruesse!

Your in luck man it's 110v so you won't even have to rewire so come and get it.

Thanks Pat

My buddy has that system with four glycol fermenters and it does have some pretty small elements in it.

Pat

I use 5500W elements in my HLT and BK (10 gal system). I wouldn't go with less, given the choice. Gets to temp quickly. Boils are quick, and with the PID in manual mode, I only run about 70% average power to the element to maintain a good rolling boil.

I'm curious as to whether you guys use insulation on your setups:

Currently I use 2 ea. 2500 watt elements in my brewery. 5000 watts to boil then maintain with 2500. They are more than enough for a 5 gallon batch and will do the job for a 10 gallon batch. I do find myself wishing for another 1000 watts to get 10 gallons up to boil.

You should have plenty of power there. I'm not familiar with your setup, but do you have insulation around your boil kettle? Adding even an inch around it DRAMATICALLY decreases the heat loss.

I think we are going ape chit with elements. The 4500W Bk has an insane boil rate, close to 2 gph. Though I don't think I want anything less than that for 10gal batches. 5500W is like shootin for the moon ;)

I am using a 1250W element in my RIMS and it is barely enough power, It takes a long time to get temps up to mash and mash out, and I sure as heck am not doing any step mashing with it. I know you use a 1500W unit and that may be the magic number.

We're still kind of pioneering it. When I started I was preached to about the horrors of scorching my wort and extra caramelization making a darker beer. I think we debunked most of that. Still a lot of fine details to work out

Ditto the insulation comment. I'll be doing a lot of experimentation with heating element powers (trying not to use 240V power).

I use 5500W elements in my HLT and BK (10 gal system). I wouldn't go with less, given the choice. Gets to temp quickly. Boils are quick, and with the PID in manual mode, I only run about 70% average power to the element to maintain a good rolling boil.

Ditto

Cheers,

OEH

OEHokie said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy40

You should have plenty of power there. I'm not familiar with your setup, but do you have insulation around your boil kettle? Adding even an inch around it DRAMATICALLY decreases the heat loss.

No, I do not have either keggle insulated. I am using two 220V hockey stick submersion heaters. Once I have heated my sparge water I transfer them to the boil. I really do have plenty of power. I'm just impatient!

Mine's going right now. No insulation on my BK. I have my element at 80%, which is a little higher than normal. It's a little colder than normal in Florida right now! 40 degF! You can just see the steam blowing off in the pic below.

In the summer, I run my 5500W element at 70%.

IMG_3030.JPG

Reinheitsgebot, I would be interested in learning more about the pricing and shipping on that German setup as well. 5 gallon.

They are just getting back to work this coming week. Folks in Germany are off between Christmas and the 6th. I will call them this week.
I know you'd save the 19% sales tax that is included in the price. However, the shipping (and whatever taxes Uncle Sam might want) will most likely make up for it again.

Group order? Or do you think TSA will notice/say anything if I brings some back in my carry-on?

They are just getting back to work this coming week. Folks in Germany are off between Christmas and the 6th. I will call them this week.
I know you'd save the 19% sales tax that is included in the price. However, the shipping (and whatever taxes Uncle Sam might want) will most likely make up for it again.

Group order? Or do you think TSA will notice/say anything if I brings some back in my carry-on?

Hahaha. I'm ready!

Depending on the final cost, and if folks wouldn't mind waiting a few months to execute it, I'd be in for the 10+ gal version. I appreciate you looking into it for us, Reinheitsgebot!

Those Speidels have become very popular in Norway the last couple of years.
I don't own one myself but It is tempting..

There's a lenghty discussion on one of the Norwegian homebrewing boards:
http://www.bryggeri.net/viewtopic.php?t=1961&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Obviously in Norwegian but with lots of pictures.

They're getting very good efficiency (high 80's) when they add about one (for the 20l) or two (for the 50l) gallons of extra sparge water.

Here was the email I got back yesterday:

Hello Robert,

thank you very much for you enquiry and your interest in our Braumeister.

We like to offer you:

Braumeister 20 ltr Art. 47070

Stainless steel cooler Art. 72899

Cleaning Set Art. 78027

Including shipping costs door to door

Without VAT

Summery: 2.090,- US$

Best regards from beerloving Germany!

Ralf Leukart

Speidel Tank- und Behälterbau GmbH

Those Speidels have become very popular in Norway the last couple of years.
I don't own one myself but It is tempting..

There's a lenghty discussion on one of the Norwegian homebrewing boards:
http://www.bryggeri.net/viewtopic.php?t=1961&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Obviously in Norwegian but with lots of pictures.

They're getting very good efficiency (high 80's) when they add about one (for the 20l) or two (for the 50l) gallons of extra sparge water.

Link not working for me.

Der Speidels-Braumeister thing looks great. If I had the euros, I would love to get it. Electric rig, automated controller, small footprint. I might have to look into building something like this. I can probably do the electrical work, electronics, and plumbing, but I am fabrication-challenged. :cross:

Got it! Can't read German but the pics are nice!

Use Google Translate. It's not a perfect translation but you can get the major points easily and if you work at it you can decipher the tech speak and humor.

This was an interesting thread (the Norwegian one)about functionality and some minor mods that the OP is considering. I haven't waded through the entire thread yet but have read enough to come to the conclusion that this product is a very serious possibility for myself.

Back