Coffee malt in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
Ostensibly I'm doing the Murphy's Irish Stout clone from Clone Brews, however, I also have 1/2 lb of Simpson's Coffee Malt on the way because I want to do a somewhat cofee flavor stout while still observing the Reinheitsgebot (sort of). I mean putting actual coffee in beer may be good for some people, but since I drink my beers in the evening I don't need the caffeine as it will keep me up, and for another I just want a hint.

Anyone have a suggestion on what quantity of the Coffee malt I should use to get a mild coffee flavor in it?

I'm making the coffee and cream stout recipe from the October 2005 BYO this weekend and it calls for only a quarter pound of Kiln Coffee Malt...don't know how much different that is (if at all) from what you have.

Hope that helps. Good luck

BREW ON:mug:

dougjones31 said:
There is something called Decaff..... If you are scared of caffeine.:drunk:

Lol... yeah true. I just have an aversion to putting coffee in the brew because I've had microbrewery stout that has tasted good with a hint of coffee flavor from the malt. I remember asking at the bar if they brewed with coffee and that it was no.

Sounds like 3 oz Coffee Malt is the way to go. Which is fine, that's about what I was expecting.

Back