08 08 08 Stone Vertical Epic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Had the new Stone Vertical Epic last night, a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. Thought it was too sweet for the style, which surprised me since it came from Stone. Didn't really have the flavor profile you would expect from the style or the added hoppiness that has made Stone famous. Guess I will have to get another and let it age like I'm supposed to before I make a final decision.

I don't understand breweries selling ale that is not aged and ready to drink.
They should age it before it is released. Otherwise they are selling substandard beer.

Yes, I agree that it is stupid to put out a beer that has not aged properly. On the bottle it talks about the 08 being a Belgian Gold being conceived in "early 2008". This would give them only about 5 months to design a recipe, brew it, and get it out to the public. I hadn't even bottled my Belgian Gold after five months, it seems like Stone didn't really plan things out far enough ahead of time to do this right.

Hi,
ALright, since it has been a couple of months, I figured I would strike this thread up. I just tried my bottle, strictly out of curiosity, and was really displeased. Still very sweet, not the best of aromas.

Has anyone else tried it since August?

How much better can this bottle really get?

If you have tried it, what could possibly come after another few years?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth looking for another bottle.
Thanks,
Dave

Back