Should I agitate the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
I have an ale that I racked to a secondary for 2 weeks then bottled with 4 1/2oz of corn sugar. It has been 2 weeks and it is still almost entirely flat and very cloudy. I have read of others aggitating the bottles to mix up the yeast. Is this a good practice? The bottles have been held at a steady 68-70 degrees in the dark.
thanks

If they are cloudy, it sounds like there is plenty of yeast in suspension. Just be patient. Give it another week or 2 and it will be fully carbed. The rule of thumb is 3 weeks.

Being an absolute noob, I only speak from what I've read. And what I've read says that you can "gently swirl" the bottles to stimulate the carbonation process if it seems stalled.

But it's not stalled, as it's only been 2 weeks. Don't do anything for two more weeks, at least. It needs some time to carbonation and for the yeast to flocculate and fall to the bottom. You can't rush it. Just wait it out.

:(OK, It's been 3 1/2 weeks since bottlinga and storing at 70deg in a dark closet. I inverted all bottles about 1 1/2 weeks ago.
Still practically no carbination. I know I've been patient. This isn't my first batch, and I've never had this problem. The beer still tastes slightly sweet and I know I mixed the corn sugar mixture in evenly.
Any Ideas?
Should I innoculate the bottles with more yeast? If so, what's the best way to go about it?
Or am I still jumping the gun? I would have thought that I would have seen some improvement by now. I can't afford to heat the closet any more!
Thanks.

As hard as it is, IMO you need to wait it out. Yeast are on their own time table. Not much we can do about that. Remember that good things come to those who wait.

OK, I'll wait a couple of weeks. Better be the best beer ever though because it will be the most expensive with the heating bill!

If I were 3 1/2 weeks in with no carb, I'd be wondering too. Maybe the caps are not on tight enough or don't fit right. Try recapping a few and compare in a week or so.

Lets say one had to do something to the beer. Pour out into a ferment bucket and re-ferment a little with some malt extract and maybe a 1/4 pack of yeast for a week?

The bottles and caps are the same ones I always use. They fit tight. When I open a bottle, I get a little carb gas...very little. The beer is not completley flat, but it hasn't got better in a couple of weeks.
I thought maybe I should make a yeast start as I would for wine and inject a ml or so in a few bottles with a sterile syringe and then re-cap and wait a couple of weeks?
Any thoughts?

Forgot to mention that the beer is still very cloudy but has a small amount of sediment. Any ideas on adding more yeast?

I have had an ale that a secondary'd and racked too much of the yeast out.
the beer is extremely clear with no sediment in the bottom ... it took over 2 months to fully carb... If you have a little gas sound the yeast is doing its thing. wait it out , make something else in the mean time and forget about them.

Back