Starting with Distilled Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience starting with distilled water and adding all the necessary elements? Is there a pre-mixed substance available for this? It is feasible?

There is a pre-mixed blend called Burton Salts to match the Burton on Trent profile for English Ales. I haven't seen any others than that.

It is very possible to build your water from distilled. You'll need a variety of salts (most available at your grocer, definitely available at the LHBS) and a good scale to measure in grams.

Finally, I suggest you obtain a copy of Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" while you may not be interested in Lagers this book has a, IIRC, 45 page chapter devoted entirely to water and how to manipulate it's chemistry.

Good luck and remember ".....tiny, tiiiiiny tap"

I use distilled and spring water in each brew... the lighter and more delicate the brew, the more distilled I use and less spring. This was a recommendation from my LHBS and it has produced excellent results! I also use Buffer5.2. My home water is HARD AS ROCKS so I have a softener which introduces too much sodium... blah.

Back