first time kegging... so bummed out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerjb

Reaction score
So, I finally got a kegging system (great deal on CL). Cleaned out the second fridge in the basement. Cleaned and sanitized the cornys. Transfered my vanilla porter into the keg, and used the last little bit of CO2 left in the tank i bought to seal up the keg.

I woke up the next morning and went and swapped the 5# tank out for a new full one. this was wednesday. Went home, hooked the regulator back up, connected everything and put 25# of pressure on there. I'm trying to 'burst' carb this so i can drink it tomorrow at a housewarming party.

When I get home wednesday evening from work, all is good, still running 25psi, hopefully carbing nicely. Same story thursday morning...

Then i get home late last night, open the fridge, and there stands my co2 tank, with no hoses connected to it. The 25psi must have eventually worked the hose clamp off the barb on the regulator. Now I have an empty co2 tank. Beer that is likely only slightly carbed (but nothing to push it with even if it were carbed), and nowhere that I can find to swap a tank with me before the party tomorrow because I have to work till 5, and all the welding places close at 4:30, and of course aren't open on saturdays.

looks like no porter at the party. such a bummer.

Try fire extinguisher places and look for a Praxair as well, you might find one open on Saturday or after 5

You still could have it for the party if you can get your co2 tank filled today, just shake the keg every 30-60 mins to get the co2 dissolved faster into the beer

Paintball supply (call first to check) would be another option for getting it filled that would be open weekends.

Isn't 48 hours on 25psi going to get it carbed. I thought people who burst carbed usually did like 36 psi for 36 hours, so I'd think you'd be fine. And don't you get a lunch break? fill the co2 then or you have any friends that owe you a favor. Like maybe on of the many that will drinking your porter!

Honestly it might be a blessing in disguise. I've never tasted a beer that was just recently quick carbed that I didn't feel like spitting out. It's going to be harshly tainted with carbonic acid. I'm sure there are some that have no problem with it but yuck!

Well, the nice guy at Prax air is going to take a tank home for me tonight, and we'll meet up tomorrow morning. I'm on a bike in downtown chicago, getting to the exchange home and then to the exchange place and then back would take a LONG time, so lunch time is a no go, and most of my friends are in teh same boat.

Hopefully the beer won't taste too bad, if it does i'll let it sit, we've got options. Just none as tasty as this porter ought to be.

Sorry to go off-topic, but can you describe the taste of carbonic acid?

The best way I can describe it is (and I didnt tell you to do this) shoot a quick blast of c02 into an empty keg, bleed the pressure and open the corney lid real fast...inhale ever so slightly...it burns. That smell is the taste, but with beer.

That's what I think he's talking about.

Back