How do I deodorize a corney?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to use a cleaner first before the sanitizer. Something like one step, PBW, oxyclean

FWIW I put up a similar post last week and got all sorts of responses. Essentially in order to get rid of any trace of odor I had to agitate and soak each keg (and all of the parts) in a 5 gal solution of boiling water laced with oxiclean detergent over a 24 hour period, rinse clean with hot water twice, and then sanitize it for 24 hours in 5 gal of idophor/water solution. It was a huge job.

That alone did not do it however, in order to completely remove the odor I had to do this process all over again since it did not work sufficiently the first time.

Needless to say this seriously sucked but now all I smell now is the idophor.

I wonder if Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) would do the trick? It's a great cleaner, but I don't know if it removes odors. It's caustic, about ph11, so gloves and eye-protection are recommended. I may try that with my kegs, which I recently bought from CHI but haven't cleaned and rebuilt yet.

Every time I buy kegs, I soak them in phosphoric acid for 24 hours, rinse, soak in lye for 24 hours, and rinse. Nothing seen or smelt after that.

Are you people pooping in your kegs? If you've replaced all of your gasket's, an over night soak in oxyclean or pbw will remove all odors.

In household deodorizing (getting the smell out of food containers) I have found that a strong solution of Baking Soda and Water will absorb most smells, just let it sit for a few days...and use a lot of baking soda.

I've done it successfully with my cooler mlt, after my nasty mishap with the GAP experiment, it got that burnt, sickly sweet smell right out.

billtzk said:
what concentrations do you use, wild?
Acid: 1.5-2.0%, Caustic: 2.0%

wildwest450 said:
Are you people pooping in your kegs? If you've replaced all of your gasket's, an over night soak in oxyclean or pbw will remove all odors.
Well, what do you do with yours when they're not in use....Clean them and leave them empty?

Yeah, right...:D

That's what I thought. I'm telling you, it was unfricking real, I have NEVER worked that hard to clean anything in my life. I don't know WHAT they put in Pepsi and Dr. Pepper these days but it's gotta be toxic. That smell was NOT coming out without an epic battle.

I still have one on the back porch waiting for its punishment. Frankly I'm so exhausted after the last three that I'm not ready to tear into it yet.

I do the oxyclean soak for 24 hours, then flip it into a bucket for a couple hours (so the top will soak as well) and I have only had an issue once. One time I put back on an O-ring that smelled like root-beer (I had not gotten my stock of lid O-rings yet) on a clean keg. After I got the new Lid O-rings I went back and replaced the one on that keg, but the whole keg smelled like rootbeer again. I washed it (no soaking) and it still smelled, so I left the lid off it for a week and let it air out, that fixed it right up. (then I cleaned/sanitized again)

Back