Why isnt anyone building basic electric control boxes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
I'm talking out both sides of my mouth because I feel like with all the demand I should learn to build a basic one or two pid panel at the same time I just want to buy a pre made one and avoid the headache. Seems like a guy could make some dough building and selling them.

I am currently building my own single PID control. Just waiting on a few more pay checks

Making them is pretty easy, I bet you could find someone that would make it for you. Of course I saw you are in ND so that may be tougher. If you want help, lots of people on here can help you make it safe and make it right, that's how I was able to build mine

i would expect that the liability of selling a completed control panel vs. a bunch of parts is one reason why noone is really doing it. If you mess up and kill someone - goodbye life as you know it. Even if it is their own fault, i.e. they opened the panel when it was live, the heartache of dealing with the fallout would not be fun.

Then you would have to deal with everyone saying that they could build it DIY for way cheaper than you are selling it :D

i would expect that the liability of selling a completed control panel vs. a bunch of parts is one reason why noone is really doing it. If you mess up and kill someone - goodbye life as you know it. Even if it is their own fault, i.e. they opened the panel when it was live, the heartache of dealing with the fallout would not be fun.

Then you would have to deal with everyone saying that they could build it DIY for way cheaper than you are selling it :D

This ^^

Plus the fact that it is a fairly small market.
There are too many variations on setups.
Not enough profit (probably)

These are the two options you have if you are not an electrician:

a) Be prepared to do ~20hrs+ of research (reading electrical code, peoples blogs about their builds, and a ton on basic information regarding electricity ), and have a certified electrician to over see your wiring
b)get an electrician do it, given your schematic once you have done all the aforementioned research

Any other way and you're taking too big of a risk!

The Stildragon kit is very cheap for a bare bones controller. The cheapest non-DIY option is probably to get someone else to assemble a kit for you.

The controller isn't the end of it. You still need a GFCI protected 240V supply and have to wire up the element so you are probably going to either have to learn up on the electrics or hire a pro anyway.

If you know enough to be concerned about safety that is a good start!

Thanks for the info. I'll check that kit out. I do have a gfci power source already available to me (my dryer plug in)

swem said:
Thanks for the info. I'll check that kit out. I do have a gfci power source already available to me (my dryer plug in)

I'd double check that your source is GFCI protected. Most dryer plugins are not. Just regular old 30A breakers.

I didn't realize there were people making them. Does anyone know of any others besides still dragon and high gravity?

It seems people are in fact building these. Anyone besides high gravity and still dragon?

I'm torn, I want to do it on the cheap right now so I should grab that DIY kit. At the same time I feel like if I'm going to drop 350 on one I might as well spend the 500 and buy the nice pid one high gravity makes.

I did some more chasing last night & found several 240V options. Has anyone used any of these?

For Mash and Boil Control:
$799.00 - High Gravity EBC III
$419.95 - Kegkits Complete 240V Electric Brew Controller with Element Switch
$359.95 - Kegkits Complete 240V Electric Brew Controller

For Boil Control:
$295.00 - High Gravity EBC II
$285.00 - RBS Controls
$249.00 - High Gravity Electric Kettle Controller
$219.95 - Kegkits 240V Electric Brew Pot Controller

And if you are going to spend $500 on the high gravity one then you might as well spend a little more and get one from kal.

In all honesty though, I built mine for around $650. If you aren't in a hurry and are willing to build it, you can get exactly the controller you want and can save a lot of money

The Stildragon kit is very cheap for a bare bones controller. The cheapest non-DIY option is probably to get someone else to assemble a kit for you.

The controller isn't the end of it. You still need a GFCI protected 240V supply and have to wire up the element so you are probably going to either have to learn up on the electrics or hire a pro anyway.

If you know enough to be concerned about safety that is a good start!

With this kit, does the heat element plug directly into it? I guess I don't understand how it works.

Edit: This is the one I am looking at. I'm not sure if it is the same one you had in mind. http://www.stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html

Why does the 2 PID unit only have 1 power outlet for heating?

During the mash, one PID is for heating the HLT and one PID is for controlling the pump to circulate your mash through the HERMS coil. When your done mashing, you unplug the HLT element and plug in the Boil Kettle element. There is a knob on the controller which allows you to control your boil without messing around with PID settings.

High Gravity has a step by step YouTube video which is what sold me on his panel. He shows you exactly how to run a brew day with his panel.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=dwr3gQeMSMI[/ame]

I think I would want a setup where I did not have to unplug or switch anything.

I did some more chasing last night & found several 240V options. Has anyone used any of these?

For Boil Control:
$285.00 - RBS Controls

Here are the links for each of these systems.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3858&idcategory=158#.Ulrv01Ao5sQ

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...W&Product_Code=BC-240V-SW&Category_Code=CNTRL

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...de=W&Product_Code=BC-240V&Category_Code=CNTRL

For Boil Control:
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/prod...Infinite-Power-Control-p3073.htm#.UlrvrlAo5sQ

$285.00 - RBS Controls
http://www.rbscontrols.com/deluxe-controller.html

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3084&idcategory=158#.Ulrv81Ao5sQ

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...de=W&Product_Code=EB-240V&Category_Code=CNTRL

I wonder how many more systems are out there?

Well kals is almost twice as much as the high gravity that I'm looking at. I'll be doing biab. Obviously his controller has a ton more features, I wish he built a basic single pid

With this kit, does the heat element plug directly into it? I guess I don't understand how it works.

Edit: This is the one I am looking at. I'm not sure if it is the same one you had in mind. http://www.stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html

I think the idea is that you put a NEMA L6-30R female connector body on a cable coming out of the box, and you plug the element into that assuming it's got a L6-30P plug on a pigtail.

Either that or you could put a L6-30R receptacle on the side of the box. Either way the bits don't come with the kit.

I think the idea is that you put a NEMA L6-30R female connector body on a cable coming out of the box, and you plug the element into that assuming it's got a L6-30P plug on a pigtail.

Either that or you could put a L6-30R receptacle on the side of the box. Either way the bits don't come with the kit.

Thanks for clarifying.... From there the box then plugs into a GFCI protected plug?

When I was shopping for my controller I asked Kal if he had thought of building a more simple BIAB controller and at the time he said he already had a prototype in the works. I wasn't willing to wait so I went with High Gravity but you might check with him to see if he's any further along with the idea now.

Thanks, I've ended up on that sight before, but didn't realize that is who people were talking about...

Electricbiab.com makes a controller that looks great and is priced right, I just haven't heard of anyone else with it. I'd love to get one but would hate to be the only person with it, therefore no bug fixes or replacement parts if needed. I really like all of the features he packed in (PC connectivity!) for such a low price. I don't know if I could build a single pid controller for that price with auber parts, maybe with eBay parts.

Electricbiab.com makes a controller that looks great and is priced right, I just haven't heard of anyone else with it. I'd love to get one but would hate to be the only person with it, therefore no bug fixes or replacement parts if needed. I really like all of the features he packed in (PC connectivity!) for such a low price. I don't know if I could build a single pid controller for that price with auber parts, maybe with eBay parts.

I have looked at that a few times, but something just does not sit well with me, call it my gut feeling...

Tim

That looks really impressive for the engineering - the website and final form lets down what could be an awesome product. And the fact that you have to wire your own plug to it - aka you take responsibility of the final wiring so if anything goes wrong it's all on you :(
Hopefully that guy has trademarked his company name (or did his research an doesn't get C&D himself) because of the PicoBrew Zymatic currently raising funds on Kickstarter!

The Still Dragon option is pretty awesome for the boil kettle and there are plenty of simpleish single PID controllers that you can use for the Boil Kettle (STC will save you some $$ vs. Auber; you can save a bit on cheaper thermocouples, too although accuracy will suffer slightly).

If you go this route you can also have a much smaller electric project box for the HLT and even use a plastic NEMA 4 box which will be much easier to cut / drill.

On the GFCI side you can save $$ going with the Home Depot spa panel box vs. a dedicated breaker -or find a used breaker on Ebay if you're brave.

The NEMA plugs are a must for safety and unfortunately, not cheap. (I went with the SwitchCraft connectors but they are a HUGE PITA and not as safe as I'd like; I will not go with them on my next build although they are SUPER convenient, cheap, and look fantastic.)

If you only plan to do single infusion mashing the Still Dragon kit can get you started pretty cheap but someone really does need to build a simple, plastic STC-based HLT control box for use with a spa panel.

Adam

Wow, that controller from electricbiab.com DOES look awesome. Has NOONE had any actual experience with one?? Also I really dont like that kickstarter, atleast not for your only setup, maybe a quick experiment. Who wants completely automatic brewing? Whats the point...

Picked up the controller from him at electricbiab.com. He was quick to respond and looks too cool.

Picked up the controller from him at electricbiab.com. He was quick to respond and looks too cool.

Let me know how you like it. I've had my eye on it for a while, been trying to figure out if I should buy this or build something from auber ins. Give us a good gouge!

Back