White house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... the porter should have been thicker and more bitter, IMO.
I think the honey in the ale made it feel thicker to me (thicker might not even be the right descriptor).

And as I said, I also bumped up the hops in the ale and did a full boil on that (boil 6 gal for 5 gal batch) and did a partial for the porter (boil 7 gal for 10 gal batch). So the IBU calculators are saying the ale will be more bitter.

I think the honey in the ale made it feel thicker to me (thicker might not even be the right descriptor).

And as I said, I also bumped up the hops in the ale and did a full boil on that (boil 6 gal for 5 gal batch) and did a partial for the porter (boil 7 gal for 10 gal batch). So the IBU calculators are saying the ale will be more bitter.

The photo is puzzling - your honey ale, which is like an English Pale Ale with honey, should be significantly lighter than your porter. I didn't follow what you were saying about your brew day.

Also, honey ferments out fully, makes your beer drier, and usually a 'thicker' mouthfeel is associated with a higher final gravity, not a lower one.

So i read like 30 something pages and did not see what I was looking for other than some debate as to whether or not to add the honey at start of boil. I just bought the northern brewer version of the porter and it suggest adding the whole pound of honey at start of boil. Does everyone think this will be OK? I want a hint of honey but not overpowering and not unnoticeable. Anyone got any suggestions? Is this decided on any particular page?

So i read like 30 something pages and did not see what I was looking for other than some debate as to whether or not to add the honey at start of boil. I just bought the northern brewer version of the porter and it suggest adding the whole pound of honey at start of boil. Does everyone think this will be OK? I want a hint of honey but not overpowering and not unnoticeable. Anyone got any suggestions? Is this decided on any particular page?

Common knowledge says boiling honey kills flavor and aroma. Some stuff I've read has disagreed and says while it alters and subdues, it doesn't entirely eliminate (but this is also in the context of mead). So if you boil it the whole time, you're basically just adding expensive sugar. Either add it at the VERY end of the boil, at flameout, or after it's already chilled. I add mine after flameout, generally when it's at about 180-190, just for pasteurization purposes.

Common knowledge says boiling honey kills flavor and aroma. Some stuff I've read has disagreed and says while it alters and subdues, it doesn't entirely eliminate (but this is also in the context of mead). So if you boil it the whole time, you're basically just adding expensive sugar. Either add it at the VERY end of the boil, at flameout, or after it's already chilled. I add mine after flameout, generally when it's at about 180-190, just for pasteurization purposes.

I would recommend adding it at none of those times. The CO2 produced during fermentation can also scrub out much of the delicate flavor and aroma, so after the primary fermentation is already done is definitely the best time. The relatively aseptic nature of honey and the yeast and alcohol that's already present in the beer seem to take care of any potential infections.

With mead, you don't have the benefit of alcohol and a ton of yeast already being present, so if you're still concerned about bacteria and wild yeast, you can just do what we do for mead and add some campden to inhibit them. Honey is amazingly flavorful but delicate stuff, and it's such a shame to lose some of its character doing things you don't have to.

Either add it at the VERY end of the boil, at flameout, or after it's already chilled. I add mine after flameout, generally when it's at about 180-190, just for pasteurization purposes.

I added it at flame out... You can absolutely identify the presence of honey in the beer, both in taste and aroma. Regarding the taste, it is NOT like honey malt - it is not sweet. My bet is that a longer boil would reduce its presence in the finished product.

I too, added honey at flame out and I can say that the honey is noticeable in my beer. It is still subtle and if you didn't know it was there, you might miss it. Once you know it's there there's no denying it.
The beer is sweet -blame this on Windsor ... A notorious poor attenuator. The honey flavor is deceptively boosted by the combination of this sweetness and the Toasted Buiscuity flavor of the Amber malt.

I think it's a very good honey ale. It has enough without being blow-your-head-off or fake.

I made the Honey Ale back in September and it has really gotten good over the last couple weeks. At first I didn't like it very much, but it has gotten really smooth and tasty as time goes on. I added the honey at flameout and it's there, but not overpowering. Definitely not a sweet beer, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Yeah I know kinda sad isn't it. Beer is beer is beer, no added politics necessary.

For me it isn't about the politics so much. If Obama was an avid home brewer and didn't make a big deal out of it that would be pretty sweet. But it seems more like using something i love as a political stunt to make me feel like he's an average Joe. From the right or the left i just don't like being manipulated. To be fair every politician does it, but i still don't like it.

On the positive side It's awesome to see the hobby get some serious publicity. How many new brewers probably started because Obama did it? And anything that helps grow the industry can only mean good things for us :-D

Cheers!

I made the Honey Ale back in September and it has really gotten good over the last couple weeks. At first I didn't like it very much, but it has gotten really smooth and tasty as time goes on. I added the honey at flameout and it's there, but not overpowering. Definitely not a sweet beer, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I got impatient and tried it after only two weeks in the bottle, and I wasn't too thrilled. Hopefully mine will also get better in time.

For me it isn't about the politics so much. If Obama was an avid home brewer and didn't make a big deal out of it that would be pretty sweet. But it seems more like using something i love as a political stunt to make me feel like he's an average Joe.

I don't see it that way. I don't see him making a big deal about it. I don't see him holding up his beer at a press conference and telling everyone he made it.

Evidently the dude likes good beer. Maybe he is aware that home brewing is becoming more and more popular and wants to try some. Maybe the chef in the White House knows he likes good beer and made him some. Maybe it turned out great and the staff wanted to share the recipe like many people on this forum do. Maybe Obama would be an avid home brewer if he had the time, but I doubt that he does. There are many possibilities other than "political stunt" here.

This is a really interesting thread about an interesting recipe. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

A gentle note of caution to keep the discussion to beer and away from politics. Keep in mind that it isn't the President's beer and he isn't making it. Its the White House ale made by the White House chefs, with honey from bees tended by the White House gardener. Nothing partisan or political about it.

Back to the discussion: anyone going to (or already have) make a second batch? I think I may. I'm down to my last three bottles of it which I was thinking I might enter into a BJCP contest as a specialty beer (English pale ale with honey). It may be a little under-stated to do well in a competition in that category, but thought it might be interesting to get some feedback anonymously.

I'm definitely giving this one another go. Not only did MY palate enjoy it, but it was also well-received by my beer nerd friends. Balance was the word I heard a lot.
I used the Austin Homebrew extract version of this, and I'm not changing a thing.

Yeah, I'm going to make another batch of this as well. So far this is the beer everybody seems to like. I'm slowly trying to get my swill drinking friends to recognize something other than Corona or Lite, so if this beer gets them trying my beers, I'll make 100 gallons! (I have to get my friends on board - I can't possibly drink all of the beer I brew) :)

I think I will re-brew the honey ale. This beer has lots of complexity. It is a pleasure to drink.

I need to try the porter also.

I think I will convert the recipes to all grain next time. I did extract for authenticity purposes this time. It was expensive.

I would recommend adding it at none of those times. The CO2 produced during fermentation can also scrub out much of the delicate flavor and aroma, so after the primary fermentation is already done is definitely the best time.

I agree.

Well I decided to meet in the middle and add it with five minutes left in boil. Hopefully it comes out ok I'm sure it will. Btw does anyone else hate the little jugs that NB packs the lme in? It took 15 minutes just to get the dang things emptied even with heating them prior. I also got a grain bag that was too small to comfortably fit all the grain that was itself in a Baggie that had several wholes in it and spilled out during shipping. All is well just kind of annoying... I still love NB! :). End rant

So I started my go at this recipe after most folks--brewed in late November, bottled after two weeks, started drinking it just before the New Year.

IMO, this beer is terrific--I'm not sure what little tweaks others did in converting to AG, but I added a little biscuit malt, used a cascade/willamette hop schedule and WLP007, and it's sooo tasty. Nice and malty (I mashed at 154F) but not sweet, balanced hop aroma/flavor and the honey (I used local clover honey) is evident in both aroma and flavor. It really gives a nice dry finish to the beer. And it's SO crystal clear, it looks like I used gelatin to knock down the yeast. I don't have a pic yet, but will try to remember to take one next time I pour.

OK, so it's nothing terribly special--no double-dry hopped, oaked, bourbon infused, cherry vanilla etc. etc. stuff, and it's only around 5% ABV. But I don't much go in for the extreme stuff anyway. Bottom line, this beer came out really well, it might be entering my starting rotation in the future! Will definitely brew again.

jerrodm said:
So I started my go at this recipe after most folks--brewed in late November, bottled after two weeks, started drinking it just before the New Year.

IMO, this beer is terrific--I'm not sure what little tweaks others did in converting to AG, but I added a little biscuit malt, used a cascade/willamette hop schedule and WLP007, and it's sooo tasty. Nice and malty (I mashed at 154F) but not sweet, balanced hop aroma/flavor and the honey (I used local clover honey) is evident in both aroma and flavor. It really gives a nice dry finish to the beer. And it's SO crystal clear, it looks like I used gelatin to knock down the yeast. I don't have a pic yet, but will try to remember to take one next time I pour.

OK, so it's nothing terribly special--no double-dry hopped, oaked, bourbon infused, cherry vanilla etc. etc. stuff, and it's only around 5% ABV. But I don't much go in for the extreme stuff anyway. Bottom line, this beer came out really well, it might be entering my starting rotation in the future! Will definitely brew again.

No offense, but, if you changed the hops and changed the yeast, is it really White House Honey Ale?

Oh, tomato, tomato. I made a honey pale ale or whatever you want to call it, which I wouldn't have if the White House staff didn't do it first. I'll definitely still think of it as the WHHA.

I ended up brewing this so it would be carbed and ready by early Nov. Not an exact clone as I did not have amber malt and used aromatic instead. I used my own honey from a June 2012 harvest (mostly poplar). Absolutely delicious ale. I've not used much honey in brewing yet, but heard somewhere that little honey flavor remains after fermentation. This beer changed that thought. I use my honey in coffee every morning. The honey came through nicely, but not dominant. The fuggles and kent goldings was a nice change as I've mostly stuck to American citrus hops. I was very pleased.

Hey everyone,

I have my first batch of Honey Ale in the primary since I started on Saturday -- using the extract kit from NB.

Just a quick survey: How long did you end up leaving in primary? Did anyone use a secondary or just go right to bottle, and how long did you condition before popping it open?

Cheers, Matt

Just a quick survey: How long did you end up leaving in primary? Did anyone use a secondary or just go right to bottle, and how long did you condition before popping it open?

Cheers, Matt
hi matt

"how long" will vary, because fermentations vary. it will be faster or slower depending on temperature, amount of viable yeast pitched, fermentability of the wort, etc. in general you'll want to wait 2 week at a minimum, with 3 weeks being safer.

if you have a hydrometer, take a reading on day 14, then take another on day 17. if they are identical, then fermentation is complete and you're ready to bottle.

hi matt

"how long" will vary, because fermentations vary. it will be faster or slower depending on temperature, amount of viable yeast pitched, fermentability of the wort, etc. in general you'll want to wait 2 week at a minimum, with 3 weeks being safer.

if you have a hydrometer, take a reading on day 14, then take another on day 17. if they are identical, then fermentation is complete and you're ready to bottle.

Thanks! Just wondering what rate other people were fermenting at. It's only been 3 days and I can hardly stand it. Need to go purchase another fermenter this weekend so I can get started on my second brew.

M

I left mine in primary for about 4 weeks, and did not secondary. I got impatient and tried it 2 weeks after bottling, but it wasn't truly ready for another 2 weeks.

I've found that adding a week to everything (above what the directions call for,) makes a huge difference in taste. Set aside a few bottles to taste one a week to see for yourself. Patience really is a virtue!

I was reading the reviews of the Whitehouse Honey Porter on the Northern Brewer site and someone said it is comparable to Samuel Adams Holiday Porter. Can someone confirm or deny this?

So I'm looking at a copy of the Honey Ale recipe (thx BorealBrewer). I've read through all the 80 or so pages of this forum so far and there seems to be some discussion on whether the 1lb of Honey @5min is enough to get the honey taste to come through?
Some say to add to secondary, some say its fine.

Any comments?

I added the honey at flameout instead of boiling it, and I'm happy with how the honey flavor came through.

It is difficult to dissolve honey in secondary. Even if you boil it first, by the time you cool it down, you'll end up with coagulated honey in your trub.

I also always add honey at flameout, but lately just skip the honey and go with honey malt, it's much more consistent.

As far as I am concerned, honey should only be added to primary, after most of the fermentation is complete.

First, boiling and fermentation push off a lot of the volatile aromas. Also, when the honey ferments it will create more trub. Why would you want to fill your secondary with that? Don't worry about mixing it. That's what yeast are for.

As long as it hasn't been contaminated, honey is naturally sterile and anti-bacterial. Honey has been found in ancient Egyptian tombs and it is still good. Honey is also being used to treat wounds as it keeps bugs out but provides nutrients that speed the skin in healing itself.

I put the honey in at 5 minutes.

It leaves a hint of honey flavor and the perception of sweetness.

I thought it was good that way. I would not want anymore honey flavor than I got by doing it that way. I did not secondary, BTW.

Back