Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what does everyone think is the optimal amount of time to age before kegging??

I'm guessing most people will say, the longer the better since we're talking about an imperial stout. I don't know how long I will be able to hold off though, I will definitely go the 2 week pri, 4 week sec before kegging...maybe an extra couple weeks in the sec before kegging.

I'm guessing this brew will probably peak around 5-6 months, just not sure it will live that long.

I am trying to brew this today and I am having a really hard time with this recipe. Some people are saying 30 IBU's, some are saying 60.

When I enter this recipe into Brewsmith, it shows the est abv to be 10.4%. Plus everything is way out of style for an American Stout. Is that the correct style???

I am pretty sure the 60 IBUs is what you want. That's what I brewed mine at at least. I bottled it about a week ago. Tasted pretty good so far! I don't think 30 IBUs would be enough.

I am pretty sure the 60 IBUs is what you want. That's what I brewed mine at at least. I bottled it about a week ago. Tasted pretty good so far! I don't think 30 IBUs would be enough.

60 IBUs is what you need here, just like Matteo said. This is a brew you could condition, plus don't worry the maltyness, roastyness, chocolate and cocoa in the brew need to be balanced out by the hops. 60 IBUs is a good bet. Made this one on 1/9/2012, still slowly and fermenting out. S-04 was a great choice for this one.

How many packets of 04 did you use???

Good Question. NONE.-

I used a massive (~2.5 quart) cake of S-04 from another brew and fermentation went fantastic. Nothing too aggressive or too slow. The key here: Pitch at a low enough temp (60 F is fine) and let the yeasties raise it to 64 max. Should be good to go - ambient temp (~62 F - 63 F) permitting of course.

If you wanna a virgin packet of S-04 thats fine but cake seems like a must for me for this one. I have made 2 separate batches of FBS used cakes on both occasions fermentation took like a fish to the water, one word, smooth.-

I used two packets for mine per mr. malty. Kept temps around 64-65ish. It finished about 5-6 points from reaching the F.G. goal.

oh god this was such a good recipe. like there was a party in my mouth and everyone came!

Cant wait to try mine darn it, still in the primary!

I am extending it to get the FG down as low as I can. I used S-04.

Will rack in two days and bottle this for the long run. Still, cant wait to sample it!

I brewed this up and split the difference, hitting 40 IBUs and I can attest to it being too sweet. I got great attenuation, but even as a green beer, the hop bitterness is too low. BTW, dry nibbing 2oz for 7 days is amazing! OK, maybe it's overkill for those who are not chocolate lovers. That pushed it out of balance toward the chocolate end, but it tastes great to me!

I brewed this up and split the difference, hitting 40 IBUs and I can attest to it being too sweet. I got great attenuation, but even as a green beer, the hop bitterness is too low. BTW, dry nibbing 2oz for 7 days is amazing! OK, maybe it's overkill for those who are not chocolate lovers. That pushed it out of balance toward the chocolate end, but it tastes great to me!

How long did you condition it?

How long did you condition it?

Those comments were based on tasting the FG sample on bottling day. IBUs calculated by Brewsmith using Tinseth. I bottled on Jan. 16, which was 33 days after brewing. I realize that it will not taste as sweet once it's carbonated, but from my experience I can tell that I will want a little more bitterness to balance it out.

Just racked into secondary.

SECONDARY:
--------------
Hydro sample is very bitter and very coffee forward. Might skip the secondary additions of Lactose, Cocoa and Coffee. Instead add (Greek) Coffee, Cocoa Nibs and Lactose to Bottling. Lactose is a must and will be increased from 4 oz to 6 oz to counter the two coffee additions. SG measured at 1.017. Alcohol does come through, not that harsh though. Brew is green but not very, if anything it is the coffee that must mellow out not the hops/malt. This is going to be one to remember.

PS: Could sterilize 1.4 oz Coffee beans, 1.4 oz Cocoa nibs and 6 oz Lactose in 1 oz Kentucky Bourbon and add to secondary instead of waiting till bottling. What do you guys think about this?

Two questions:

How do you recommend changing the hop profile to hit 60 ibu's? i upped the nugget to 1 oz and that puts me at 40 ibu according to beer smith.

Also, and pry a beginner question, what mash profile do you use for this type of beer?

Two questions:

How do you recommend changing the hop profile to hit 60 ibu's? i upped the nugget to 1 oz and that puts me at 40 ibu according to beer smith.

Also, and pry a beginner question, what mash profile do you use for this type of beer?

Two very valid questions.

IBUs: Up the Nugget to the bitterness but dont change the Willamette. If you get 48 IBUs you are golden, the Willamette can do the rest.
(Also, although I didnt do this it may well work: Do an 90 min boil and have a 90 min nugget addition and a 60 min nugget addition. With a brew this big you could pull it off.) Otherwise just up the Nugget and you are golden.

Mash: Mash high for this one. Remember you are making a dark brew with 60 IBUs of hop bitterness. I mashed at 155 F and hit the numbers spot on. There are other flavors going into this brew, cocoa, chocolate, lactose, lots of coffee too, so you will need that residual maltyness to come through. Mashing high will give you exactly that. Other than that remember to strike with enough 168 F water to get your desired pre boil batch size. I do not recommend not sparging this brew, it would be a great waste of sugars.

I ll try and give mine only 1 week in the secondary and see how that goes but so far S-04 has been the way to go. Will keep you posted.

Happy brewing everyone and dont forget to put some bottles aside for conditioning (NEXT) winter isnt too far!

Ok I have mine in the secondary. How long should I wait ? Is four weeks to long?

periwinkle1239 said:
Not at all imo. The longer, the better, whether or not it is in the secondary or bottled/kegged.

Thanks yeah I figured that it would be specially with 2 cups of rum in it.

Ok I have mine in the secondary. How long should I wait ? Is four weeks to long?

Just make sure not to leave a lot of cocoa nibs and coffee beans in there for too long. They do tend to extract much bitterness. I may prolong my secondary but will leave it on the beans for only a week.

PS: Ended up adding 6 oz Kentucky Bourbon instead of 1 oz. Yeah... 1 oz would have gotten lost in there. :)

Happy brewing everyone and let us all know how your Stouts are coming along.

Brewed Dec 14, bottled Jan 16. First taste Feb. 4. OG1.068, FG1.016, 40IBU, 62SRM.
Used chocolate in the boil as the recipe states, but no coffee in the boil. 2oz dry nibs in the last 7 days of bulk aging in primary and bottled with 16oz cold-steeped coffee (med. roast, 1.5oz of beans finely ground steeped 24hours in refrigerator). Primed to 2.0Vol.
Notes: Black as sin, pours thick and creamy. No head, with low carbonation (as intended, because I plan to actually drink this at breakfast). Chocolatey, roasty nose with a bit of coffee in there. Flavor is a bit tart, and a little too much dark chocolate, with no hint of hops or esters. It's at this point I get suspicious and review my notes to find that I used S-05 instead of S-04. Big mistake. After further review I find that my water was off too (too soft), and that is probably why I can't smell or taste any hint of hop presence. I miss the esters and the slight tartness from the S-05 is out of place in this beer. Too bad. Also, I think 2oz of nibs was too much, and I would to only 1oz in the future to provide better balance with the other aromas.
Overall, I will drink this, but it could be better. The problems were with execution, and not with any part of the recipe so far as I can tell. I'll try it again in the autumn.

Brewed Dec 14, bottled Jan 16. First taste Feb. 4. OG1.068, FG1.016, 40IBU, 62SRM.
Used chocolate in the boil as the recipe states, but no coffee in the boil. 2oz dry nibs in the last 7 days of bulk aging in primary and bottled with 16oz cold-steeped coffee (med. roast, 1.5oz of beans finely ground steeped 24hours in refrigerator). Primed to 2.0Vol.
Notes: Black as sin, pours thick and creamy. No head, with low carbonation (as intended, because I plan to actually drink this at breakfast). Chocolatey, roasty nose with a bit of coffee in there. Flavor is a bit tart, and a little too much dark chocolate, with no hint of hops or esters. It's at this point I get suspicious and review my notes to find that I used S-05 instead of S-04. Big mistake. After further review I find that my water was off too (too soft), and that is probably why I can't smell or taste any hint of hop presence. I miss the esters and the slight tartness from the S-05 is out of place in this beer. Too bad. Also, I think 2oz of nibs was too much, and I would to only 1oz in the future to provide better balance with the other aromas.
Overall, I will drink this, but it could be better. The problems were with execution, and not with any part of the recipe so far as I can tell. I'll try it again in the autumn.

Sard, I think you might have something good going on there but I still think with a brew this big, you might want to give it more time to condition, much more time. I just cracked open a simple coffee stout, aged 10 months. It was so smooth it went down like a milk stout. Give it time mate, I think you ll like the results even more.

So I just made my FG at 1.014 and my starting OG 1.050. What would my abv be? I thought this was a little low since I added 16oz of rum at the secondary. Or should I take another FG after bottling ?

adamjab19 said:
4.8% ABV according to http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php

Adding rum won't change your FG because you didn't add fermentables (i.e.-sugars) you added alcohol, basically water. How much your ABV was bumped up by 16oz of rum I don't know. But if you said your beer is around 5% ABV you'd be pretty close anyways. :)

Oh ok I wasn't sure if the rum would bump it up. I added it 3 weeks ago. And it moved from 1.021 to 1.014.

Oh ok I wasn't sure if the rum would bump it up. I added it 3 weeks ago. And it moved from 1.021 to 1.014.

Added some Kentucky Bourbon to mine, along with the beans. Should drive the FG down just a notch. Cant wait to bottle this one, then wait till Fall 2012 for the gran unveiling.

So what volume of water did those of you that cold pressed the bottling addition of 2oz coffee use? I imagine it's a fine line between the perfect amount to extract the most flavor in the grounds but not to much as to water down your finished product.

I personally didnt cold press, I used the beans straight into the secondary. I am always afraid of getting a bad batch so I sterilize or sanitize everything. In this case Kentucky Bourbon plus beans.

I you want to cold press, I would advise using the minimum amount possible to get the most out of your coffee but retain your gravity. A single cup for example sounds about right.

Good luck with your brew and as always Happy Brewing.

Bottled the beast today. Massive coffee taste and smell. Didnt add coffee at bottling. Now for the long wait. Cracking it open officially this coming fall. will sample a bottle here and there, just to make sure everything is going fine, of course. ;)

Happy brewing everybody.

Transferred mine to the secondary yesterday. Stole a sample with my thief (great piece of equipment by the way, first time using it). It tastes great but hardly has any coffee or chocolate taste or aroma? Im planning to add the 2oz cold press addition at bottling of some Peaberry Kona from smith farms in Hawaii (great coffee! check them out). I'm not to worried about the lack of coffee flavor but does anyone have any suggestions for the chocolate? contemplating getting some pure chocolate extract and figuring out the right amount to add in with the bottling addition of kona.

I should add that I went 2 weeks in the primary and plan to go 4 in the secondary now that its off that massive layer of chocolate/yeast trub.

Transferred mine to the secondary yesterday. Stole a sample with my thief (great piece of equipment by the way, first time using it). It tastes great but hardly has any coffee or chocolate taste or aroma? Im planning to add the 2oz cold press addition at bottling of some Peaberry Kona from smith farms in Hawaii (great coffee! check them out). I'm not to worried about the lack of coffee flavor but does anyone have any suggestions for the chocolate? contemplating getting some pure chocolate extract and figuring out the right amount to add in with the bottling addition of kona.

I should add that I went 2 weeks in the primary and plan to go 4 in the secondary now that its off that massive layer of chocolate/yeast trub.

For coffee you can add whole coffee beans in secondary. Its a pain in the butt trying to siphon the brew later on as for chocolate flavor, you can add chocolate extract and if you are going for a more natural cocoa flavor you can add cocoa nibs in secondary as well. Mind you a brew this big can only mellow out through time, pushing one flavor or another to make up for the lack thereof may not be advisable.
Then again, you might have sth great going on there, so I say let it roll!

Happy brewing

I made a pot of French press coffee then I added cocca nibs to coffee and bought to a boil for 5-10. Then cooled and added to beer in secondary. Turned out great!

Regarding the 2oz coffee at flameout. I normally strain my wort from the bk to the fermenter. Is straining going to reduce the coffee flavor in this brew?

Regarding the 2oz coffee at flameout. I normally strain my wort from the bk to the fermenter. Is straining going to reduce the coffee flavor in this brew?

Probably not. Are you using a strainer or a screen? The strainer probably won't hold back the grounded coffee.

I put my coffee grounds in a hop bag when I added them that way they wouldn't all end up in the fermenter. I'm sure some of them did.

I also made sure that I racked to a secondary after done fermenting (2 weeks). There was a huge amount of chocolate sludge at the bottom with probably coffee grounds as well. Most people say you don't want the beer to sit on that for too long as the chocolate/coffee can add unwanted bitterness.

Thanks for the input. I actually use a bag to strain. I may use a hop bag like you did for the coffee. Just to clarify - You added the coffee at flameout and removed it when you're ready to pitch the yeast, correct? Just making sure taht I'm not suppose to leave the hop bag in there throughout the fermetation process.

This is my first time using coffee or chocolate so want to make sure I know what to do.

Thanks for the input. I actually use a bag to strain. I may use a hop bag like you did for the coffee. Just to clarify - You added the coffee at flameout and removed it when you're ready to pitch the yeast, correct? Just making sure taht I'm not suppose to leave the hop bag in there throughout the fermetation process.

This is my first time using coffee or chocolate so want to make sure I know what to do.

That's correct. So the bag of coffee grounds only sat in there for about 20-25 minutes while the wort cooled. Then I transferred to the fermenter, leaving the bag behind in the kettle. Then I pitched the yeast.

I brewed this on 1/15, transferred to secondary on 1/29. I peaked on it last night, took a quick smell (no sample), and the coffee/chocolate smell was awesome. I think I'm going to go until the end of March and then keg it. I don't know that I'm going to add the cold coffee addition. I'll probably sample before kegging and then decide at that time.

I brewed this back in December, around the 15th. I split the batch and oaked half. I definitely prefer the oaked better. I just tried both last night. Next time I brew it I will NOT add the second coffee addition and add a more mellow coffee. I didn't add a super bold one but the one I did add I guess was a bit bold.
Anyways, i won't add it next it next time and might even cut the boil addition by a small margin and see how I like that one.
All in all a great stout though, especially if you like beer!

Has anyone given thought to, or tried to sour this recipe? I'm thinking about trying something with roeselare, and was considering giving this recipe a shot.

Has anyone given thought to, or tried to sour this recipe? I'm thinking about trying something with roeselare, and was considering giving this recipe a shot.

Sounds good but how would the souring tie with the cocoa and coffee notes?

Worth a try I think but only on a sample maybe a one gallon batch to begin with.

Happy brewing.

Back