Beginner Beer Structure/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybrews

Reaction score
I've gone AG recently, w/in the last 6 months. Getting good beer and not worrying. Summer's a-comin' and I want to turn the backyard and garage into the brewfactory I'm dreaming of. Garden will be turned and trellised for the hops :) but that leaves the rig...

Current rig is a simple 8gal stainless mashtun/lauter tun/brewpot w/False Bottom, ball valve, thermometer. Have one of the basic 'bayou classic' burners (claims up to 150,000BTU) which might lack oomph. Assorted fermenters and carbs, 5-7 gals in size.

So I'm basic. Can anyone point me to a thread/site/guide that will lay out all the parts and steps to bump up to a full RIMS or HERMS setup?

Preferably:
-RIMS setup
-12 gal or more capacity into primary
-minimal welding of structure OR just plain wood
-on casters
-converted Sankey kegs over large stainless pots ($$$)

and for those of you who do full boils in sankey kegs, what do you typically ferment in?

thanks in advance

You'll need at least one march 809HS pump depending on whether you go single tier or 2 tier. I bought mine with brass head from http://www.homebrewing.org/March-Pump-125_p_1015.html for $135.

Make sure it's the 1/25hp NOT the 1/100hp model.

Are you planning to batch sparge or fly sparge?

I ferment in 13g Plastic fermenters. Not sure about others. I have seen sankes converted into fermenters and I know someone that has a 10g corny keg that he ferments in.

Back