Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recent recipe purchases:

Voodoo Magic
2 Hellenbock

Anyone have any experience with these? Based on the ingredients, they look pretty darn good.

Question: Are there support groups for homebrew addictions???

hi there , it's me again , but this time i have a question about ingredients , there r a lot of LME and different brands , wich one you guys can recomend to a newby like me ?, i am looking for a Unhopped LME, i found a lot of namebrands like coopers , but there r some generic brands too , r those any good , or should i stick with the namebrands? thanks.

I too received the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas this year and have got my first batch fermenting away right now. I'm using the High Country Canadian Draft extract and booster that came with the kit and so far have done it exactly like the directions specified, although I do plan on leaving it in the fermentation keg for 2 weeks rather than the 1 week specified in the directions. Rather than adding table sugar to each bottle I am planning on creating a solution of corn sugar and water in a 3-gallon cooler with a spigot at the bottom and then filling the bottles from there. Is there anything else that I can do to improve what I've already got going? I've already decided that future brews will be done in a more advanced way than the Mr. Beer directions call for, but I was just wondering if there's anything more that can be done to improve this first batch?

Same here. Mr. Beer for Xmas. My first batch was also the High Country Canadian Draft. I fermented for 10 days and it's been in bottles for 13 days. One more day and I'll be tasting it!! The guy at the brew store (and others here at the forum) told me that using regular table sugar would be a huge mistake - and sold me some corn sugar for priming. So I primed half of my bottles with the corn sugar (dextrose) and the other half with the table sugar (sucrose). We'll see.

Another question: Exactly what kind of beer is High Country Canadian Draft? I gave a bottle of the stuff to a much more experienced homebrew friend, and after telling me that it looked like water, asked me what kind of beer it was. I had no reply.

guys, if i can make a suggestion. before bottling, if you have room in your fridge, stick the whole fermenter in the fridge for a week, after it has been sitting for three @ 63-68*. it really makes a difference.

I am reading conflicting opinions on what makes a Mr. Beer taste "cidery", so I want to ask the folks I have read a lot (Orfy, Shaffer, Revvy, brauhaus, etc. for advice.

I have purchased 2 lbs. of corn sugar, based on advice from this site. I have began purchasing refills from Mr. Beer that have UME's instead of Boosters, and I have decided to substitute a 2nd can of malt extract to replace the Booster for the refills I already have.

So, veterans, please advise someone who is desperate to conquer Mr. Beer and then upgrade to better equipment.

That will do it. Add malt instead of sugar.
Some sugar is not bad for a recipe, some recipes are improved by it. But it must be in proportion.Until you get used to recipe formulation I'd stick with 1Lb max for a 5 gallon beer and 0.5Lb for 2.5 Gallon.
The easiest way is to buy bags of DME and use DME instead of the booster/sugar

Starting "2 Hellenbock" tomorrow, with ingredients as follows:

1 can Octoberfest Vienna Lager
1 can Pale Export UME
1 packet Mr. Beer yeast
2 packets Argentine Cascade Hops
2 cups honey

So...how long to ferment (Mr. Beer suggests 2 weeks minimum), and how long to carbonate/condition (Mr. Beer suggests 2 months minimum). Advice?

I got some apfelwein going right now in my Mr. Beer and I have a small concern. I was moving it over in my closet the other day and I kind of squeezed it and it made a sound like it sucked in air. Kind of like when a squeeze-toy inflates again. Should I be worried about any kind of contamination?

MFDave, if it has been fermenting for more than 48 hours, I wouldnt worry too much. The ABV should be pretty high already.

Im pretty disappointed in the West Coast Pale Ale. im assuming it sucks because of all the sugar you use to make it. i followed all the directions, fermented for 12 days, bottle conditioned for close to 3.5 weeks and it tastes like apples and champagne. extremely cidery and hardly no carbonation. i thought i might have done something wrong, but a friend of mine brought over some WCPA he brewed in his mr beer. he bottled it in a 1/2 gallon growler and let it condition for about a week and it tasted almost exactly the same as mine. i brewed an all malt porter in my mr beer, so i hope ot comes out better. i bottled a week ago, but when i tasted this one out of the fermenter, it tasted a lot more maltier, but still a little bit cidery.

MFDave, if it has been fermenting for more than 48 hours, I wouldnt worry too much. The ABV should be pretty high already.

Good to know. It's been fermenting for almost two weeks now. I just got paranoid of some airborne contaminate ruining my precious. :D Thanks for the info Henny!

Im pretty disappointed in the West Coast Pale Ale.

I've always told people MrBeer is like Cheese Pizza. It's OK but you would have a better pizza by adding toppings, right? Once you freshen up the standard recipes with additional malt extract or steeping grains - then you got a really good beer.

-OCD

im sorta want to take back that last comment about the WCPA. i was going on the taste after 2 weeks in the bottle. i just tasted 2 bottles after 3 weeks 1day and they kinda of lost the cidery taste for the most part and definately had some excellant carbonation (i used cooper's carbonation drops when i bottled). it tasted like most of your domestic beers. my father really enjoyed, kept saying how fresh it tasted, mind you his favorite beer is coors light. i guess it just goes to show you patience is the key when it comes to conditioning.

im sorta want to take back that last comment about the WCPA. i was going on the taste after 2 weeks in the bottle. i just tasted 2 bottles after 3 weeks 1day and they kinda of lost the cidery taste for the most part and definately had some excellant carbonation (i used cooper's carbonation drops when i bottled). it tasted like most of your domestic beers. my father really enjoyed, kept saying how fresh it tasted, mind you his favorite beer is coors light. i guess it just goes to show you patience is the key when it comes to conditioning.

Lesson 1. ;)

That will do it. Add malt instead of sugar.
Some sugar is not bad for a recipe, some recipes are improved by it. But it must be in proportion.Until you get used to recipe formulation I'd stick with 1Lb max for a 5 gallon beer and 0.5Lb for 2.5 Gallon.
The easiest way is to buy bags of DME and use DME instead of the booster/sugar

So instead of using corn sugar, use DME? I bought some at my RHBS (Remote Home Brew Store...LOL), so I am ready to go with DME.

Will I use the same amount as I would dextrose?

im planning on making an IPA using my mr.beer fermenter. i have
- 3.3lb Amber Malt Extract
- 2oz. columbus pellet hops
- 2oz. simcoe pellet hops
- 7grams Cooper's dry ale yeast.

i plan on bringing 1 gallon of water to a boil adding my extract, and then boiling for about 45minutes while adding about 3 1/2 oz. of the hops. then im going to fill the fermenter up with 1 gallon of cold water and dump in my wort. im going to put a muslin hop bag over the top of the fermentor while pouring the wort in to get all the ho particles, or should i just use the hop bag while boiling? does all of this sound like a good recipe, im open to any suggestions at all.

Im pretty disappointed in the West Coast Pale Ale. im assuming it sucks because of all the sugar you use to make it. i followed all the directions, fermented for 12 days, bottle conditioned for close to 3.5 weeks and it tastes like apples and champagne. extremely cidery and hardly no carbonation.

I let mine sit in the Mr Beer for basically a month, in the bottles for two weeks and I've just started refrigeration. I tried one for reference after a day in the fridge. If anything, I'd say it suffered from lack of taste. Carbed very well,(did the corn sugar and water mixed into a bottle bucket.) good mouthfeel, just didn't have much taste. No hops at all, reminded me of a Miller lite. Yeah, that's about as suck ass as it tasting like cider, but I wonder if the difference isn't fermentation time or bottling sugar or both. At least it's beer.... more or less tasteless beer, but no hints of anything other than beer.

A quick question for KerryD (or anyone else who's added corn sugar into the fermenter for bottling): How did you mix the corn sugar without disturbing the trub, or did you just wait for it to settle again before bottling? Seems like this method could introduce a lot more gunk into the bottles than is necessary.

Glad to hear your beer turned out okay though, even if it's a bit lacking in the taste department. I expect to get beer from my kit, not necessarily good beer.

Hey Irishman78 -

I just happened across an ad in the Sept/08 Southern Brew News for a brewery (micro, probably) in Montgomery.

Montgomery Brewing
12 W. Jefferson Street

(334)834-2739

If they don't offer ingredients/equipment themselves, they, of all people, would surely know if there is a LHBS in your town.

Pogo

Hey Irishman78 -

I just happened across an ad in the Sept/08 Southern Brew News for a brewery (micro, probably) in Montgomery.

Montgomery Brewing
12 W. Jefferson Street

(334)834-2739

If they don't offer ingredients/equipment themselves, they, of all people, would surely know if there is a LHBS in your town.

Pogo

Pogo,

The Montgomery Brew Pub is an awesome restuarant and bar, and their homemade brews are quite good. They really have honed in on their trade since they opened several years ago.

I have not thought to ask them about ingredients or supplies, but that is a good idea. As far as a LHBS goes, my homebrew buddy found a website that listed them by state, and the closest it listed was Alabrew in Birmingham. Went there last Saturday and bought some stuff, and the owner directed me to a guy who lives here in Montgomery who has a "brew club" type thing going, so I am going to check that out. He should have great advice as to the best way to get supplies.

Glad to see the Montgomery Brew Pub made the Southern Brew News! Thanks for the help!

Oh and also, we have already began thinking "big boy" equipment. We want to get a few more Mr. Beer batches going to get used to the new hobby, but by Spring we hope to be "moving on up"!

A quick question for KerryD (or anyone else who's added corn sugar into the fermenter for bottling): How did you mix the corn sugar without disturbing the trub, or did you just wait for it to settle again before bottling? Seems like this method could introduce a lot more gunk into the bottles than is necessary.

Glad to hear your beer turned out okay though, even if it's a bit lacking in the taste department. I expect to get beer from my kit, not necessarily good beer.

I should have been more specific. I did a mix and poured it into a bottling bucket then added the MR. Beer. I used tubing to ease the aeration issue. I think 5/8"s is close... you'll need a clamp.

Yeah, it's not too bad. I think the wife will drink it even if it stays like it is now.

I should have been more specific. I did a mix and poured it into a bottling bucket then added the MR. Beer. I used tubing to ease the aeration issue. I think 5/8"s is close... you'll need a clamp.

Yeah, it's not too bad. I think the wife will drink it even if it stays like it is now.

Ah, makes more sense now. Thank you.

Here's to the hope my tax return comes in quick so I can buy some real equipment! :mug:

Made a batch of Voodoo Magic, which called for one can of LME, one of UME, and one cup of light brown sugar. Used LHBS-bought yeast packet, which was noticeably more than the Mr. Beer packet. After 3 days fermenting, there is a ton of krauten (sp?) on top, but I guess that is normal for 2 cans and a cup of brown sugar? This thing is bubbling up like crazy. Anyway, I have a stick-on thermometer which is reading about 70 degrees, so I assume I am okay and it is still early.

Made a batch of Voodoo Magic, which called for one can of LME, one of UME, and one cup of light brown sugar. Used LHBS-bought yeast packet, which was noticeably more than the Mr. Beer packet. After 3 days fermenting, there is a ton of krauten (sp?) on top, but I guess that is normal for 2 cans and a cup of brown sugar? This thing is bubbling up like crazy. Anyway, I have a stick-on thermometer which is reading about 70 degrees, so I assume I am okay and it is still early.

Sounds normal to me. Sounds like a good fermentation going on. How long are you thinking of leaving it in the fermentor?

Sounds normal to me. Sounds like a good fermentation going on. How long are you thinking of leaving it in the fermentor?

I was thinking two weeks, but ultimately I will bottle when I see that fermentation has stopped, based on what I see or don't see floating on top.

It was kind of exciting to see that much fermentation going on, as this is really the first real "recipe" I have brewed using Mr. Beer ingredients. The other one I have brewing is the standard 1st time WCPA, and after 11 days fermentation looks to be done.

Irishman,
I left my WCPS in for 3 weeks, based on information I learned from this sight. It has been in the bottles for almost 3 weeks. May try one this weekend. Fermentation was done before that, but I wanted to let the yeasties clean up a little after theirselves.

Cheers,

I may go an extra week, but to be honest, I am wanting to free up the fermenter for another, better batch... I definitely plan to leave it in the bottles for at least 3 weeks, and then maybe try 1-2 bottles each week after that. I have read on here that is a good way to see how conditioning improves the taste.

hi there , i try one of the beers from my first batch after two weeks on the bottles , but there is just a little carbonation , and no foam retencion , is this the way it is ? what i did wrong , i still have 6 more bottles should i let them sit for 1 more week ? thanks for your help !!!

Hey mambitgre -

Give up a little more information.

Did you follow the kits instructions exactly?

Or, did you modify the instructions as per the advice on the forum here?

Did you use a bottling bucket? If so, how much sugar did you add to the bucket?

Or, did you add sugar (or carb tabs) directly to the bottles before you filled them with beer, and capped them? If so, how much sugar did you add to each bottle? Also, what size bottles did you use?

And, what temperature have you been conditioning the bottled beers at?

Pogo

yes i follow the instructions in the kit , the bottles r the ones included in the kit , PET 1 litter , i added 2 1/2 tsps of sugar to each bottle , i let them sit for almost two weeks at 74-76 F (we had a cold front last week and lastted for 3 days it when down to 63-65) , the bottles r rock hard , thanks for your prompt answer!!!!

Wow...2.5 tsps. per 1 liter bottle!

I've used a level 1/2 tsp. per 12 ounce bottle before, and it seemed perfect.

I'm thinking that 1.5 tsps. would be about right for a 1 liter bottle.

If they are rock hard now, one more week should be plenty of time. You may get a lot of spewing when you crack the seal though!

Keep us posted.

Pogo

I can't remember the instructions for MB in my head, but 2.5 tsp. sound right. It calls for table sugar, so it should be all right.

I can't remember the instructions for MB in my head, but 2.5 tsp. sound right. It calls for table sugar, so it should be all right.

Hey Thumper,

I'm sure this is already on this thread somewhere, but for the sake of getting a quicker answer, here goes.

2.5 tsp of table sugar is what Mr. Beer recommends for their 1 liter PET bottles, but if I am using corn sugar and 12 oz glass bottles, what would you recommend?

my first mr beer was the same way, i used carb tabs in 12 oz bottles and i tried my first WCPA after 2 weeks. it had very little carbonation, almost no head and had a real bad cidery taste to it. i let them condition for about another week and a few days and shook them up a little every couple of days and when i opened one, it actually had great carbonation, lost the cidery taste almost completely and had an alright head to it. however, if you brewed the WCPA, dont expect it to be much of a pale ale. its a very light beer and reminds me of a macro. but its still beer and it goes down really easy. and youll definately enjoy it seeing as how you made it. have patience and just set some aside for even a couple more weeks. they can only get better

Couldn't think of a better place to post this than here, so here goes. My first HB batch isn't even out of the Mr Beer and into the bottle yet, and I've just ordered $250 worth of starter supplies from Midwest.

Honestly, if that WCPA starter kit comes out tasting like BMC, I'll consider it a success. If it comes out tasting like cider, I'll know what to do. If it comes out tasting like crap, I'll have expected it and will consider it a learning experience.

Thanks to all the folks at HBT for facilitating my new addiction.

Well I have to say, I'm impressed with my Mr. Beer and it has sparked a desire to brew more. I'm going to do another batch soon and in the Summer, my father is giving me all of his old brewing equipment. He used to make some impressive brews - especially Lagers and Stouts, but stopped a few years ago. Hopefully, he'll share a few of his recipes - he was very much into tweaking recipes.

My kit came with a Cowboy Lager and I tweaked it myself by adding a cup of Tyringham maple syrup to the mix. I was told on another site that maple syrup was a bad idea, (sounded good to me), but I must have dodged a bullet, because the beer is absolutely fantastic...It still needs some time in the fridge to settle some more, (another 2-weeks). It's still in a cooler sitting next to my furnace and it's hitting the fridge next Thursday. I started this on December 25th....

The one thing I have to work out is temperature control, as I live in a circa 1750 farm house on the side of a mountain. I kept the keg wrapped in sleeping bags near my furnace while it fermented and had a remote thermometer in with it. The temperature stayed surprisingly consistent with basement temps at 53-56 degrees and keg temperatures varying in the 67-degree scale. This was below the recommended temps, but infrequent checks of the keg showed activity, so I let it ride.

I may be wrong here, (I'm such a newbie), but I think time was my friend with the less than ideal temperatures. I surpassed the instructions recommendations for time in keg and time conditioning before refrigeration. Again, I started this process Christmas Day and bottled on the 15th of January. I'm letting this stuff ride until next Thursday before I refrigerate.

I had one bottle that I didn't quite fill all the way and I pulled it from the cooler on Monday night and put it in the fridge. It was the last of the keg when I was bottling, so I figured: "what the heck" and made it my sacrificial lamb. Just for the hell of it, I broke it out on Wednesday night and was so relieved to hear the "pshhhhht" sound when I flipped the cap. I poured it slowly into a glass, (the bottom was a tad bit sludgy) and took my first sip....damn! This stuff is good! I mean, really, really good! I must have gotten lucky with the maple syrup, because this beer is tasty...

Looking forward to my next go round and really getting things going with a more elaborate kit when my father makes it down to storage....[cheers]

Back