Madame Butterfly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week at <64, 2 weeks at 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
This is a simple brew to flex your brewing muscles to friends. They won\'t forget it!
This is the first recipe I've posted. It's a "lucious blonde with a suprise!", hence the name:cross:. I figured a great beer made mostly from a kit would be the way to go. This is based on a Brewer's Best Cream Ale kit. I substituted the supplied yeast and the finishing hops because they(hops) didn't smell completely fresh. All times are for a 60 minute, 4 gallon boil, topped to 5.5 gallons in fermenter.

2lbs. light DME(60 min.)
3.3lbs light LME(15 min.)
8 oz. Agave nectar(optional, I had it so I added it at 15 min.)
1 oz. Vanguard pellet hops 4.4AA(60 min.)
1 oz. Hallertau leaf hops 3.1 AA(0 min.)-.5 oz. Vanguard was supplied but not used
Munton's yeast was supplied, but I used Nottingham instead. The Munton's may work fine as well.

This is the base beer. I added hot peppers from my garden as follows:

As close as you can get to one oz. each of jalepeno, super chili, and serano(green chili). Halve each pepper. Put one set of the halves(seeds and all) into the boil for the full 60 minutes. Lay the other set of halves(seeds and all) on a cookie sheet and roast in your oven, then add to the primary with the wort and yeast.

Seal it up for three weeks, keeping the temperature below 64 degrees for at least the first week. Bottle with 5 oz. priming sugar.

Feel free to sub peppers as you like. The recipe I was attempting to clone used jalepeno, serano, and habenero. I wanted to use what I grow. This mix of peppers seems about perfect to me. For a split second it's a slightly fruity, clean tasting beer. Then, the pepper taste kicks in followed by an inferno in your mouth and throat! It's no session beer, due to the heat, but should be great with all of the meat, cheese, and cracker trays during the upcoming holiday season.

I took this one to a small gathering of brewers (including eriktlupus) over thanksgiving weekend and got some pretty good feedback.

Back