To carbonate or not to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
To carbonate or not to carbonate, that is my question:

Should I carbonate my cider? I estimate it is at somewhere around 11-12% abv, as it gives a good wine-like warming on the way down and it is absolutely dry.

I added bentonite today, but I assume that I'll still have a little yeast around to carbonate with. What do you normally do with a dry cider, leave it flat or carbonate it (in bottles)?

Since you are bottling, why not do half & half? I keg and don't carbonate. If I want bubbles in a pint, I just shoot in a little soda water (which is also on tap). Nice thing about homebrewing, you can experiment and decide what you like best. You could even use carb. drops and vary the carbonation level.

Aye, I was going to suggest carbonating (especially with an ABV around 12, and it's so dry, you say) but the other lads raise a good point. Half and half is the way to go, and if you prefer one over the other, you'll know for next time!

How much corn sugar do I add to carbonate per gallon?

Edit: Nevermind I found the nomograph in John Palmer's online treatise. How many volumes of CO2 do I want?

Back