Racking stopped fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ascaris

Reaction score
Hi guys....I made some cider about a month ago with Nottingham Ale yeast SG 1.06. It was going strong for a while and two weeks in, fermentation slowed down a lot, and I decided to rack to my secondary at SG 1.01....it's been in there for 2 weeks and there has been no air lock action (aside from maybe the first day or two. I just checked the SG again today and it's still at 1.01. It tastes great but I'm worried about bottling. I plan on carbonating my cider in the bottle so I'm concerned that there isn't enough active yeast for the carbonation process.

I'm thinking about pitching some more yeast into the secondary to try and get the cider to ferment dry. Then just prime the batch like normal before bottling. Does this sound reasonable?

Add some yeast to the cider and heat it to over 70 degrees. Let it hang out a week or two and check gravity again. Don't bottle it until you know if it's done or not or you'll get explosive bottles. Next time don't rack it before it's done.

edit: allthough you did say nottingham so maybe it's done...

My guess is that fermentation is done. Add a bit less priming sugar than you think you need, just in case. You souldnt need new yeast though, there should be enough still in suspension to carb it.

Back