Bottle Conditioning Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
hi, i've got a few brews under my belt now and while i've done well with fermentation temps, i think i might be bottle conditioning at too low a temp to get good carbonation - what temp should i be looking for? i understood i wanted a lower temp than for fermentation so i move bottles to a colder area in the basement, but now i'm wondering if it's too cold over there. anyone have any ideas?

Over 60 or so it will carbonate. I am not sure the exact temp that your yeast would go dormant, but I usually give bottles a week or two upstairs befor storing in the basement.

I notice that with my house in the 62 degrees area, it takes much longer to carbonate than it did in the summer at 70 degrees. Ideally, you'd store them at 68-70 degrees until they carbonate, and then stick them in the fridge as you have room.

thanks guys. my current storage area is too cold. will move my beer upstairs, much to the chagrin of my wife, i expect, but it's all for a good cause!

cd2448 said:
thanks guys. my current storage area is too cold. will move my beer upstairs, much to the chagrin of my wife, i expect, but it's all for a good cause!

That's right. We all need to make sacrifices for the good of the beer.;)

YooperBrew said:
We all need to make sacrifices for the good of the beer.

Wow, Yoop, that ranks right up there with "Beer is proof that God loves us..."!! I like it!!

I've got the same problem- conditioning too cold. How long will it take the little guys to wake up and carbonate after I get them to a warmer spot? They've been in the basement, at 59F for a while.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

I typically keep my bottles at 68-75 F for a week, then move them to the fridge for cold conditioning for at least two weeks, usually I managed to "forget" they're their for a month.

I prime with 1/2 cup corn sugar and 1 cup water, boiled until it forms a true solution. I've always got complete carbonation and a great head.

Back