8$ wheat bush beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is still a sour tea-ish flavor that i wish was not there,,,wonder if it would be better with real hops or real yeast ?

I think after I get my beer fridge for lagering this weekend, I might give this a shot. I like experiments, and if the zombies do come, I'll need to be able to replace my Yuengling cheaply..

I brewed this three weeks ago, and bottled ten days ago. Tonight I tasted it not expecting much. Thire were two deviations in my batch from the original recipe:
Nottingham yeast and Hallertouer hops. The beer was green, but I can tell that
in a week or two it will taste very good. Spam, I DO suggest using brewing hops
and brewer's yeast. Great thread nonetheless. I am gateful for this experiment/
recipe. German wheat yeast could work very well, I imagine!

Kegged this yesterday and tried a little. Surprisingly this was very drinkable. It did taste more like a lite wine then beer. Only problem I had was I did not put the wheat in a grain bag and lost a gallon because all of it settled in primary.

Bottled the first batch today, clear as can be. Tasted good, yellowish tint, no flavor resemblance to beer, I have to agree with the above post that it closer resembled something like wine..

Finished at 1.010 - Giving it a couple weeks to carb in the bottles, I'll share more thoughts then.

My own version is sitting at 40*F, probably will give it another week then bottle.

2011-11-06002306.jpg

Broke down, tried one.

Carbonated lemon wine. Best way I can describe it.

This thread was very interesting. Thank you for those that posted pictures and other results.

I like the idea that this could be a good substitute in the case of Z-Day. Although, I think if I were in that situation (for simplicity) I would probably just ferment sugary flavored beverages (or maybe real fruits) and make a cheap wine or something.

This thread was very interesting. Thank you for those that posted pictures and other results.

I like the idea that this could be a good substitute in the case of Z-Day. Although, I think if I were in that situation (for simplicity) I would probably just ferment sugary flavored beverages (or maybe real fruits) and make a cheap wine or something.

Everyone knows Z-Day won't really happen.. But when the aliens attack, I'm brewing the hell out of this one..

I finally managed to source out a cheap 250 GPH pond pump and wanted to test out my rubbermade/pond pump/ice bath/immersion cooler and figured this would be a good cheap batch to screw up if I screwed up my cooler. In the spirit of it being a bush beer, I used what I had on hand (minus the malted milk and a bit of barley).

Boiled 5 gallons of water (I wanted to smoke a cigar outside while brewing)
Added a 12 ounce box of unprocessed wheat bran
1 container of malted milk
About 2.5 lbs of brown sugar, and .5 lb of "raw" sugar
17 bags of tension tamer teabags by celeste company (we had it on hand)
Boiled for 30 mins (just a few minutes past 30 actually, it was a good cigar)
Chilled in 15 minutes using my redneck chiller.
Added 1 pack of muntons dry ale yeast I had on hand, and since the recipe Since OT called for it I added about 2 tsp of bakers yeast.

Smelled good while brewing, who knows if it is as lemon as it you guys are saying it could be a quick summer brew.

One last post, after three weeks in the keg this is surprisingly an easy drinking beverage. I plan on doing one more batch but adding some bittering hops.

2011-11-26231124.jpg

Had another tonight, been a while. Still thinking lemon wine but it isn't bad at all, pretty good. Some flavor keeps teasing my taste, the sour taste but not bad sour, the sour like you just ate a sour patch kid or something, can't place it.

I'm bottling the bush-wit tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how the taste changes

This is a cheap beer.
Ive had great success with this as a begining brewer.

Boil 1 1/2 gal water and add;
Half box/bag unprocessed wheat bran
Malted milk
3lb sugar
One box tension tamer teabags by celeste company
Boil for 30 mins
Pour into primary with
2 1/2 gals roon temp water inside
Add 2 pkts...
BAKERS YEAST
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
set for ten minutes then stir

Ferment at 60-66 degrees F

Has anyone made this one? I'd like to see a pic and hear a report. Thanks. Maybe the original poster has a pic?

Thank jsmith for your pics and comments on what you made. Your take on the original recipe is interesting, but I thought some people made the one above. Maybe I missed their reports.

I'm not gonna head for Sam's club to stock up on bran, but there is something intriguing about raiding my Mom's cupboard for beer ingredients.

My pic and comment above is of and about the OPs original recipe. I've since brewed my own version (bush-wit), just need to bottle it.

No worries, 27 pages... Lucky if I read 5 usually lol. The original recipe is good, still doesn't remind me of beer but it's definitely drinkable.

I am making a spin-off of this as we speak. One 1.3# can of malt extract,one can of malted milk,one ounce hopps,3 pounds cane sugar,and one pack of cheap brewers yeast,,it all cost me about 12 bucks.

I was so impressed with the clarity and head on the original ,,but that sour taste was a let down for me. I will keep you posted on this batch:)

Here is another pic.
I did make another batch but added 2oz of Bay Leafs and used Notty on the 24th.
One more thing, I went to my friends house for Thanksgiving and all he had was Corona. This is the worst beer I have on tap but I would drink it over BMC or a Corona.

100_0888.jpg

smileyvault-poke.gif
Topic.. topic, you still there? Still there?

For anyone interested or those who care, I never bottled my second altered batch of this dubbed the Bushman Wit haha. That's right, been sitting in primary for MONTHS!! I crashed it for almost 8 weeks.. Thinking I'll finally do it tonight.

I wonder what will be under that lid in the bucket.... hmm...........

Also I'm still working through my batch of the OPS original recipe, still lemony, still has a sourish finish to it, still carbonated and still drinkable if the zombies come. I think I have maybe a 12 pack left.

Most interesting post EVER! Reminds me of my friend who did a stint in jail. He said they'd get apple juice, sugar, and a biscuit ... sleep on it to get it REALLY warm, and you'd have alcohol. Then they'd throw a packet of kool-aid in to make it taste OKAY. Sounds like hell, lol.

I am going to try this recipe once the ol' LBK is available again. OP, are you changing the recipe at all?

Yes. cutting back sugar heavily. I've done it once with that much and it really was fine. Last time though I just made solvent.

smileyvault-poke.gif
Topic.. topic, you still there? Still there?

For anyone interested or those who care, I never bottled my second altered batch of this dubbed the Bushman Wit haha. That's right, been sitting in primary for MONTHS!! I crashed it for almost 8 weeks.. Thinking I'll finally do it tonight.

I wonder what will be under that lid in the bucket.... hmm...........

Also I'm still working through my batch of the OPS original recipe, still lemony, still has a sourish finish to it, still carbonated and still drinkable if the zombies come. I think I have maybe a 12 pack left.

update? Just wondering.

Cool thread! I'm not going to vouch for the end product, but this is some inspired component analysis. Any updates on any of these projects? Any tweaks to the recipe by the OP?

Also: has anyone tried Beano? It gets a bad rap from irresponsible coldside usage, but as a chemical mashing aid it can be very powerful. It might be worth checking to see what else you can get from wheat germ using Beano at the right temp. Here's a thread on the right temperature for Beano to work most effectively: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what-optimum-temperature-range-beano-331078/

I have used it coldside in a Flemish Red with great results. you are correct, it is a very powerful mash aid. If you mashed too high, it can save your butt by breaking down those tough mother sugars that would otherwise remain, ruining the mouthfeel, abv, all the things that would ruin the recipe. Its great to use honestly. Coldside however... it never stops.. beers become dry as a popcorn fart

I noticed that you're pretty good at helping people out on the forums - posted a question a little earlier and it seems like no one is interested in helping me out... would you be able to take a look at it and maybe give me some sound advice?

I will be forever grateful! Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Stephanie

Here is the question: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/please-help-homebrew-kit-advice-361222/

Back