A fresh start in life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Good day everyone. Quick background on me; 30 years old, lived in the same area (and attended college) for the past 25 years, single, selling my house. I travel all over the country for work which awarded me the opportunity to visit southern Cali! Needless to say, everytime I visit (a total of about 8 times) I absolutely fall in love with the area and genuinely feel sad when I step foot on the airplan to head back east. However, I dread getting up everday for work, I don't interact with most of my coworkers unless I have too, and the lack of professionalism really bothers me.

Depending on how much I net from the sale of my house, I was going to basically head out there on a whim. My plan was to pre-pay rent for about 6 months while I look for a job(s). I'll have enough in savings to live on for about 8-10 months depending on how frugal I am.

Anyone else done something like this? Am I crazy or retarded for attempting something like this?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!

Sounds great. Sow your wild oats while ye may. Soon enough you'll be staked.

I'm partial to North CA. San Diego is nice, but I wouldn't settle north of there until I hit Monterey. Above Monterey is gorgeous, as far north as I've gone.

I don't like the northeast, so I get what you're doing. Good luck. I don't think you're crazy at all.

+1 to passedpawn...there are times in your life when you feel like you have the option to do this. In my mind, that means DO IT...because while it syour life and you do alwasy have the option of self destiny, it gets kinda complicated at a point...

I don't know what the job availability is out there ,or the occupation you have, but I quit a job in 2009 when it looked like things were improving. I settled for a job making just over 1/2 of what I was making before. Granted it is in RI which was, and still is, in the bottom 5 states for unemployment. But it also took nine months to find this job.

I would suggest having something lined up before making any move like this in this terrible economy, I expect it to get worse before getting better, especially if someone is reelected.

Sorry for the political rant.:eek:

Maybe it depends on your profession. Do you have skillz that make you a valuable sought out employee? If so, definitely do it! If travel or a new destination calls, answer it.
On the other hand, if you're going to have a hard time finding a place to live and/or employment, some prelim work before uprooting may be in order. It's tough to brew when you don't even have a brew kettle to live in. Nowha'I'msayin'?

I've always played it safe. Out of the 7 or so friends withing my age range, only 1 has successfully made a complete lifestyle change work, and that's because he secured a future job before going through with it. The other 6 have been unemployed for over six months.

phoenixs4r said:
I've always played it safe. Out of the 7 or so friends withing my age range, only 1 has successfully made a complete lifestyle change work, and that's because he secured a future job before going through with it. The other 6 have been unemployed for over six months.

See that's just it, I'm tired of always playing it safe in my life. Clearly it makes things easier to find a job ahead of time, but my researching shows its easier if you have a California address first.

Its just me to support, no kids, wife, etc. So I'm willing to really work anywhere to start off.

Its amazing how negative people can be about this. They seem to think its OK to wake up everyday dreading what you do for a simple paycheck and to live in misery. I'm tired of living like that and refuse to fall into that category!

I say that if you're prepared to face the consequences what ever they may be then go for it. It sounds like you have a plan and if you're determined there is a good chance that it can work out. I feel similarly, I've played it pretty safe so far and now that I feel like taking a chance while I'm still somewhat young (28) I don't have the opportunity at the moment because of some unexpected events I can't really do that right now. If you're not happy then it's up to you to change it. It seems too much in life people do what they have to do not what they want to do. If we can't be happy then what are we here for? I wish the best for you in what ever you decide.

Move to Stockton. If you bring more than ten dollars into the state with you, they make you mayor until you have spent it all.

s2cmpugh said:
Its just me to support, no kids, wife, etc. So I'm willing to really work anywhere to start off.

Oh, ****ing eh go for it then, I had assumed there was more than you for some reason. Good luck!

Never prepay for rent. You don't know the financial shape of the homeowner and he may in the process of foreclosure, owners may change during that time, or he may find some other way to screw you out. But regardless, good luck on the journey.

You're not crazy - you're smart.

You only get one life - you're wise not to waste it. Do what makes you happy and the rest will sort itself out.

Go on you son!

Go for it. If you have a good skill set look into contract work. A lot of agencies can get you placed somewhere short-term. Its an easy way to get a paycheck while you're looking for something permanent.

I moved to the S.F. Bay area about 20 years ago without having a job lined up. In November! Took until January to find a job, another 12 months to sell my house in Las Vegas. Lived in Oakland for 18 months. Three murders within four blocks of the house.

But I discovered craft beer, so it was worth it.

Moved to Oregon 8 years ago, but I sold the Ca house first.

Six years after that move, I got married, at 58, for the first time.

Dying with one year's experience repeated 60 times isn't my idea of a good life.

Go for it! I hear Cali is one of the best states to be homeless in!

(I'm joking.)
:off:
hey, at least the weather's not too bad! I always wondered why all the homeless didn't migrate to socal (or at least out of the midwest - the winter AND summer SUCK here). :D

In serious response, as long as you are financially able to take the risk, why not? Your happiness (as has been said before) is more important than stability (since you have no dependents). I would set myself a deadline for gainful employment, and another for cash flow reversal (ie: the time in which you can support yourself without using additional savings; this may not be the same as getting the first job...). Set these timeframes such that you have a safety margin of savings, allowing you to relocate back or find somewhere else BEFORE the homeless thing kicks in.

Good beer selection out there too! :mug:

Fortune favors the bold.
(unless fighting bears):p

I would also encourage you to do it. I grew up in California and moved to Seattle when I was 22. One of the best decisions i've ever made. In fact, i'd encourage everyone to do move that far away from home while you're young if that's all they've ever known. Its an experience unlike anything else. Not sure how long you've stayed in CA before, but remember, the nostalgia will wear off eventually (regardless of where you move); just something to keep in mind. That being said, I still love California, flaws and all!

Do everything you said, just don't prepay for rent. No sense dispensing cash earlier than you need to. Especially when there is no income.

My vote is go for it! I have always told my kids to try something new and daring without harm to others or themselves.

I want to thank everyone here for some GREAT advice and words of encourgement.

Never prepay for rent. You don't know the financial shape of the homeowner and he may in the process of foreclosure, owners may change during that time, or he may find some other way to screw you out. But regardless, good luck on the journey.

Excellent advice right there! I was thinking about renting a room from some people, but maybe I'll look into something different now.

Go for it. If you have a good skill set look into contract work. A lot of agencies can get you placed somewhere short-term. Its an easy way to get a paycheck while you're looking for something permanent.

That's kind of my thinking right now, start off as a temp or something just to get started. My background is in some light accounting, finance, and compliance in the mortgage industry.

:off:
hey, at least the weather's not too bad! I always wondered why all the homeless didn't migrate to socal (or at least out of the midwest - the winter AND summer SUCK here). :D

In serious response, as long as you are financially able to take the risk, why not? Your happiness (as has been said before) is more important than stability (since you have no dependents). I would set myself a deadline for gainful employment, and another for cash flow reversal (ie: the time in which you can support yourself without using additional savings; this may not be the same as getting the first job...). Set these timeframes such that you have a safety margin of savings, allowing you to relocate back or find somewhere else BEFORE the homeless thing kicks in.

Good beer selection out there too! :mug:

Fortune favors the bold.
(unless fighting bears):p

Excellent point! I'd put some money tucked away as my "emergency get home fund" if need be and I do have a couple places I could move back home to; one being my mothers house :mad:

I would also encourage you to do it. I grew up in California and moved to Seattle when I was 22. One of the best decisions i've ever made. In fact, i'd encourage everyone to do move that far away from home while you're young if that's all they've ever known. Its an experience unlike anything else. Not sure how long you've stayed in CA before, but remember, the nostalgia will wear off eventually (regardless of where you move); just something to keep in mind. That being said, I still love California, flaws and all!

I know the "excitement and newness" will wear off after a while, but I'm sick of where I live right now and need a huge change. Not to mention, the beaches out there, fresh food, and the chance to meet some new people. I just feel like Cali offers more things and a lifestyle that caters to what I prefer.

My vote is go for it! I have always told my kids to try something new and daring without harm to others or themselves.

The only beings harmed during all this will be the bugs splattered on my windshield.

I mentioned this to some friends and an event like this really shows how people can act. These are also the same people that can't do anything alone, getting food, having a drink, etc. I've traveled to Europe ALONE, and going again in a few weeks, and have traveled all over the country.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you are going to go for it. And since you've received a lot of good sensible information here, you are now required to post your adventures so that all of us can live vicariously through you!

The less traveled road leads to the greater ventured journey.

Go for it while you are still young and nothing is tying you down. Sure you might fail but that is a risk you take in everyday life. If you are feeling like you need to do this, then you NEED to do this.

I say go for it, but go informed, Cali is a different world from Virginia. I'm sure you've looked into this already, however just in case here are some numbers to keep in mind. If you make over approximately 42K per year your state income tax rate will nearly double and your personal exemptions will be cut by 75%. In addition Southern California housing costs are 198% of the housing cost in Richmond Virginia so while calculating your rent, plan on spending double for the equivalent housing. Also sales tax is 7.25% in most of California compared with 4% in Virginia so everything you buy except exempted items will be 3.25% more, and gas will have an extra 30 cents tacked onto every gallon for tax. California is ranked 14th for violent crimes while Virginia is 34th, but you can't pack a gun to protect yourself, unlike Virginia. I know that the unmeasureable qualities are what causes a person to move, but be aware of what the impact will be to you and plan for it! (disclaimer: I am an accountant so yes, I'm a numbers nerd)

This thread reminds me of a song...

"A whole new world... A grand fantastic point of view... No one to tell [you] no..."

Ah you get the picture, go for it and may you have an exciting journey!

Good day everyone. Quick background on me; 30 years old, lived in the same area (and attended college) for the past 25 years, single, selling my house. I travel all over the country for work which awarded me the opportunity to visit southern Cali! Needless to say, everytime I visit (a total of about 8 times) I absolutely fall in love with the area and genuinely feel sad when I step foot on the airplan to head back east. However, I dread getting up everday for work, I don't interact with most of my coworkers unless I have too, and the lack of professionalism really bothers me.

Depending on how much I net from the sale of my house, I was going to basically head out there on a whim. My plan was to pre-pay rent for about 6 months while I look for a job(s). I'll have enough in savings to live on for about 8-10 months depending on how frugal I am.

Anyone else done something like this? Am I crazy or retarded for attempting something like this?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!

I moved out to AZ when I was almost 28. Quit my band, didn't know what I was going to do for a job or a place to live. I've been out here 5 years now and I've never been happier. Make the change!

See that's just it, I'm tired of always playing it safe in my life. Clearly it makes things easier to find a job ahead of time, but my researching shows its easier if you have a California address first.

Its amazing how negative people can be about this. They seem to think its OK to wake up everyday dreading what you do for a simple paycheck and to live in misery. I'm tired of living like that and refuse to fall into that category!

Awesome. Do it, man. Once I got to AZ I went to school for something I had a passion for and now even if I work 60 hours in a week I still enjoy going to work.

I know I'm late to this thread but you have to do what makes you happy. There is no great reward without great risk.

Happiness isn't measured in nickels and dimes, it's how you feel when you get up in the morning. My vote is to go for it: balls to the wall, pedal to the metal.

Go for it while you are still young and nothing is tying you down. Sure you might fail but that is a risk you take in everyday life. If you are feeling like you need to do this, then you NEED to do this.

Bingo! This feels like something I NEED to do and at a minimum attempt. I personally think I've thought this out more than the average person would.

I say go for it, but go informed, Cali is a different world from Virginia. I'm sure you've looked into this already, however just in case here are some numbers to keep in mind. If you make over approximately 42K per year your state income tax rate will nearly double and your personal exemptions will be cut by 75%. In addition Southern California housing costs are 198% of the housing cost in Richmond Virginia so while calculating your rent, plan on spending double for the equivalent housing. Also sales tax is 7.25% in most of California compared with 4% in Virginia so everything you buy except exempted items will be 3.25% more, and gas will have an extra 30 cents tacked onto every gallon for tax. California is ranked 14th for violent crimes while Virginia is 34th, but you can't pack a gun to protect yourself, unlike Virginia. I know that the unmeasureable qualities are what causes a person to move, but be aware of what the impact will be to you and plan for it! (disclaimer: I am an accountant so yes, I'm a numbers nerd)

I'm disappointed that the accountant got the sales tax wrong for VA; it's 5% now! Tisk tisk tisk. As far as housing goes, I know my 1800 sq/ft house out there would be more than double than what I paid here, but my plan is to obviously downsize A LOT with no inkling to purchase a house. Crime rates vary based on local and at a per capita basis. There are some zip codes here in Richmond that might very well surpise you as to the amount of crime and the violence level. We all know about gas out there, but that's a given.

While numbers do play a role, but this is more about following a dream, a desire, a willingness to take some sort of chance for change and seeing what happens. That, you can not put a dollar amount on.

I know I'm late to this thread but you have to do what makes you happy. There is no great reward without great risk.

Happiness isn't measured in nickels and dimes, it's how you feel when you get up in the morning. My vote is to go for it: balls to the wall, pedal to the metal.

This right there says it all! I do NOT feel very happy when I wake up everyday, and in fact I dread getting out of bed heading to work. When I started waking up in the middle of the night with absolute dismay and dread, then I knew the time had come to make a move.

On a good note, I have another house showing this weekend!!

D-oh, That's what I get for using a paper reference instead of the interwebs - outdated information. In my defense I live in Minnesota, so I mostly deal with our tax rates.

Yeah I'd take the crime rates with a grain of salt since locality plays a huge factor, I know what you mean about richmond, I used to do consulting work down there.

Like I said, I'd go for it, but just make sure your cushion is as big as it needs to be for your plans. Good luck, if I didn't have kids/mortgage/etc I'd be doing the same, but to a different state.

Latest posts

Back