yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicroBrewMaster

Reaction score
Question about how long after your boil can you wait to add the yeast. I don't have a chiller at the moment and use the ice bath method. So I was wondering if I just leave it for a few hours before I add the yeast would it a problem

You want to get the wort to at least the middle of the temperature range of the yeast. I aim for the lower end of the range, if not below that. Of course, I use a plate chiller to chill my wort, which makes this far easier. My only limitation (so far) has been ground water temperatures.

Well I understand that u need to get to pitching temp, I mean like is ok to leave the wort alone for a few hours before I add the yeast.

Absolutely. That is what the no chill guys do.

Brew the beer. Transfer the hot wort to a sealed plastic container. Next day transfer to a carboy or bucket and pitch the yeast. Of course good sanitation is key.

I kept my latest batch in a plastic container for almost a week before pitching my starter. Nothing wrong with that at all. Sometimes I'll do a boil and then do my starter. That way I have to let the wort get to room temp while I wait the two or three days for my starter.

All infection/contamination risks aside, you need to at least chill the wort to what is safe for your plastic fermenter to handle. Otherwise you can melt it. There are more than a few threads of people posting about that happening.

Personally, I simply chill the wort with my plate chiller once the boil is over and then pitch the yeast (after hitting the wort with pure O2 to oxygenate it).

BTW, by closing the lid over the still hot wort you have higher chances of getting DMS off flavors. IMO the negative things that can happen to the brew/wort while left to chill passively are too many to make it worth considering. Especially when we can, so easily (for most of us at least) get to pitching temps quickly.

thanks for the answers, I have an 8 month old son now so finding the time for a full brew day is tuff. Figure it would be good to brew early in morning then later that night be able to pitch my yeast. So that keeps the wife from getting made at me saying I spend to much time with the beer haha

With a properly sized, and configured, wort chiller, you can get 5 gallon batches to pitching temps in ~15 minutes in the summer and faster when it's not hot out. IMO, it's worth going through what it takes to get the wort chilled faster and then set it to where it will ferment for the duration. Then, you can relax with your child and know you're going to have really good/great brew in x weeks (and have it in glass once carbonated).

Back