what size hole to drill for 1/2 fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dulavjo

Reaction score
what size hole to drill for 1/2 fittings for my converted beer kegs. I have 1/2 inch fittings for my SS keg and plastic mash tun

Standard 1/2" pipe OD is .840". So if your drilling a through hole to attach fitting then a 7/8 hole .875" should do.

A 1/32 less than 7/8 works for me. But it really depends on you fitting. Threads seems to vary by a 32nd or so. I like to keep it tight as possible. So I drill a little, then try it, then drill a touch more until I can get it where it almost threads in.

7/8" will work great.
I did 13/16" and the holes are so tight I couldn't put tape on the threads until the fitting was already through the hole.
No leaks though :D

Wait till you get your couplings. The outside diameter can vary quite a bit by manufacturer, batch, etc. A step bit can allow you some flexibility.

Yes - definitely wait. I'd had couplings from one manufacturer to another that have massive variances.

Latest posts

Back