Safale S-04 Cal-Commen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyD

Reaction score
So I made a Cal -commen type beer with pale malt and 25% corn adjuct, and used S-04. SG was 1.045 finnished @ 1.012, Used A Hallertau hybrid (called US- 4/78 )1oz @ 60
I recon the fermentation temp was stable @ 19 C
Bottle conditioned with sugar 2,5 weeks @ 15C

The thing is it has a distincte citrus flavour?
what can it be?
Dont think its the hops because it did not taste like that in other experimental batches?
IS it still just "green"?

Its probably a combination of still being green and esters from the s-04 yeast. That yeast is not a clean fermenting yeast and is more intended for English style beers where fruity esters are desired.

Its probably a combination of still being green and esters from the s-04 yeast.

I've always used Safale S-04 for my pale ales and never had estery flavors .

19 Degrees C is a good temperature for this yeast strain . It will produce such flavors at around 24C and above .

Hector

Never used S-04 before, so cant speak to whether that's a characteristic or not. I would think you are ok with fermentation temp of 19C / 66F. S-05 is clean fermenting though from the one time I used it in a cream ale.

I've always used Safale S-04 for my pale ales and never had estery flavors .

19 Degrees C is a good temperature for this yeast strain . It will produce such flavors at around 24C and above .

Hector

Well this in also interesting, but how would you interpret Fermetation temp, or what do most people refer to: the temp of the beer or the temp in the "closet"?

how would you interpret Fermetation temp, or what do most people refer to: the temp of the beer or the temp in the "closet"?

"Fermentis" recommends fermenting at 15-24C with S-04 .

I always keep my ambient temperature at 19C and I've never had estery flavors .

Hector

Back