Homebrew beer in a commercial keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmincer

Reaction score
My friend has a bar with 14 beers on tap, but typically has 1-2 empty. I am just starting to homebrew. I have a batch ready for kegging/bottling and want to put it in a keg that I can then hook up to his traditional commercial tap system. I also have a Danby kegerator with a tap built in for commercial kegs. Is there an easy and economical way for me to put my beer in a keg with fittings/connections that would allow it to be tapped in a commercial system at either my friend's bar or my home Danby kegerator?

P.S. the beer will absolutely not be sold or distributed at the bar to patrons or sold for money. I am an attorney and recognize the illegality of that at least in my state.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I wanna say Bobby M has a vid on YouTube showing how he disassembles a commercial keg before he makes it into a brew kettle.

It'd be easier, and far more simple to just buy a corny keg and change out your friend's keg coupler for a ball or pin lock connection. Sanke kegs need a special coupler to clean them and that alone would probably cost a bunch.

It'd be easier, and far more simple to just buy a corny keg and change out your friend's keg coupler for a ball or pin lock connection. Sanke kegs need a special coupler to clean them and that alone would probably cost a bunch.

Much easier to change out the fittings on the system rather than putting beer in a commercial keg.

A standard "D" coupling can be used. Just remove the check valves ( #'s 2 & 10):

2.gif

And then pump hot PBW solution into the beer out connection with the keg inverted. A decent submersible sump pump (Harbor Freight) will do a great job. The cleaner/sanitizer will spray across the bottom of the inverted keg and drain down the sides and back out of the gas in connection.

BTW: The same coupling can be used to fill the keg when it is ready.

Back