Pale Wheat Ale style help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
I have a question regarding this style. Most definitions say that it is a beer made with typically around 50% wheat that is fermented with clean american yeast and moderately hopped. What about a beer that uses only around 35% wheat with the rest being primarily pilsner malt fermented with Belgian Witbier yeast?

I just brewed up this recipe yesterday. I just kind of wrote it down because I thought it would taste good. I did this PM.

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012
IBU: 24
SRM: 4
Boil Volume: 3gal
Batch Volume: 5.5gal

4# Extra Light DME
2# Flaked Wheat
.75# Wheat Malt
.75# Pilsner 2-Row
.5# Crystal 20L

.35 oz. Centennial - 60 min.
.5 oz. Cascade - 15 min.
.5 oz. Cascade - 5 min.
.15 oz. Centennial - 0 min.

1 tbsp. Orange Zest - 5 min.
1 tbsp. Lemon Zest - 5 min.

WLP400

Thoughts? I'm not a big stickler for having to put an exact style on everything, but I was curious about what to expect for this one. Will it be a slightly wheaty blonde ale or what? Thanks.

It looks like an Americanized Belgian Wit. The wit yeast will give it a character that is vastly different from what you find in an American Wheat.

What are my prospects for this turning out good? I was hoping for a witbier style beer with the citrus zest without the spice but a little lighter and hoppier. Maybe I should have gone with the clean ale yeast.

What are my prospects for this turning out good? I was hoping for a witbier style beer with the citrus zest without the spice but a little lighter and hoppier. Maybe I should have gone with the clean ale yeast.

It looks fine to me... just don't expect it to taste like Widmer or Blue Moon. That yeast will give it a character more in line with Hoegaarden although your beer has considerably less wheat, citrus like American hops, and no coriander.

Well I'm interested to see what it tastes like. Krausen is still huge on this one, so I'll probably have to wait another 5-7 days to get the first taste.

Back