Pre-hopped beer kits taste ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weapon-X

Reaction score
I'm kinda broke right now and can't afford to buy ingrediants for a 5 gal extract batch. I'm considering a pre-hopped kit just to see what they're like. If they're super crappy I guess I can try to make a 2.5 gal batch.

They are the most basic of basic. I guess they are ok but they will be nothing like all grain, partial mash, and extract w/ specialty grains

In all honesty, you can probably do an extract with hops and with a specialty grain steep for nearly the same price - about $30. Most hopped extracts are $20 plus the dextrose so why not just do it better for just a tad more? If you want to cut costs the first thing you can do is use dry yeast, about $4 less than liquid. If you have the means then do a starter, if not then at least rehydrate the yeast before pitching.

Rev.

If you really want to save some money at least in the long run you should go all grain!! and wash your yeast.

If you really want to save some money at least in the long run you should go all grain!! and wash your yeast.

Definitely for the long run. But now, if he's in a situation where money is tight enough he's looking at prehopped can kits I think AG would be a bit of a stretch being the upgrades he'd need to get.

Rev.

for sure a brew pot and mash tun would run close to 100 bucks at least!! well i never tried a prehopped can kit but i here they are ok.

I got one for Christmas from my daughters a couple years ago. I remember it had a red devils face on the can. I don't remember if I did a full boil or not, but I do remember it was pretty good!

I'm kinda broke right now and can't afford to buy ingrediants for a 5 gal extract batch. I'm considering a pre-hopped kit just to see what they're like. If they're super crappy I guess I can try to make a 2.5 gal batch.

All Grain is definitely the way to go to save money and you can BIAB quite cheaply and do it right on your stove top.

Follow these links

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

If your broke right now the Coopers kits aren't bad. Where I live you can get one for $13 and $4 for corn sugar and make 5 gallons. I would rather see you do that than drink Natural Light. lol

DON'T follow the instructions. Leave it in primary for 4 weeks and bottle carb for 3 more weeks. You can drink it after a week in the bottle but it won't be fully carbed and will need to be kept at fermentation temp to finish.

Cheers
:mug:

to the OP, i have had NO good experiences with Pre-hopped.

for the same price you can SMaSH a 2.5gal beer and try a simple one.

at the LHBS here, 3lbs. DME run $12 and an oz. hop run $2-3. one can pre-hopped run $14.95 with a limited selection.

sound about right??

i would do a Single Malt and Single Hop brew. it is a good way to go.

Wow! I don't know how me being broke = I should start brewing AG. I do realize the initial costs are high but it pays off in the long run... and I do plan to do so when I'm living somewhere with more space (and I have more $$$). But now the issue is I've got like $25 and I wanna brew next weekend.

Rock the canned kits man. They're fine for your situation. When you have the money and time again, look at more custom setups.

For now, go with a Coopers kit or a Brew Canada kit. I agree that instead of transferring to secondary, you should just leave it in the primary for longer (3 weeks at least, then bottle/keg)

Weapon-X, I tried to PM you but it says you need to clear up space to be able to receive any more messages.

Jamil and John Palmer recently did a Brew Strong episode on these kits and they raved about them. One caveat is they said they have to be fresh. I think they also recommended the replacing the sugar with DME (which would cost you) and swapping out for better yeast.

+1 on better yeast. i didn't think about that when I posted earlier

Wow! I don't know how me being broke = I should start brewing AG. I do realize the initial costs are high but it pays off in the long run... and I do plan to do so when I'm living somewhere with more space (and I have more $$$). But now the issue is I've got like $25 and I wanna brew next weekend.

Did you follow the link to stove top all grain brewing?

All you need is a bag, stir spoon, thermometer and a couple pots. Your profile says you have been brewing for almost 3 years and I assumed you had those things

I am pro kits for starting out but why not make something good for the same price.

Cheers

my LHBS has bulk liquid extract for $1.99/pound. You can make a decent 5 gallon SMASH (pellet hops & dry yeast) for around $20 to $25. I think that's cheaper than the can kits.
I've tasted a Muton's kit. Not great quality but they are still better than coors or bud! The important thing is to brew something, anything. Just brew.

For about $25 you could get an extract w/ grains kit at northern brewer including the shipping. Go to the extract ales kits and sort it by price.

Did you follow the link to stove top all grain brewing?

All you need is a bag, stir spoon, thermometer and a couple pots. Your profile says you have been brewing for almost 3 years and I assumed you had those things

I am pro kits for starting out but why not make something good for the same price.

Cheers

I've read the partial mash thread before. I do wanna try this... I do need to buy a 5 gal pot, I've only got the big one. Also need the grain bag. Also I dunno if you've read my other post, but I had a bad experiance recently... sour batch. I'm just getting back in to this after a bit of a hiatus. I wanna make a succesful extract batch or two before I start moving to AG.

I've read the partial mash thread before. I do wanna try this... I do need to buy a 5 gal pot, I've only got the big one. Also need the grain bag. Also I dunno if you've read my other post, but I had a bad experiance recently... sour batch. I'm just getting back in to this after a bit of a hiatus. I wanna make a succesful extract batch or two before I start moving to AG.

Fair enough

The coopers kits make easy and decent beer

:mug:

Latest posts

Back