Why do you homebrew...general thoughts on the process.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crucial-BBQ

Reaction score
I assumed this was already a thread; perhaps numerous times over. A quick search revealed nothing, however, so excuse me if it has already been done.

I began homebrewing in my mid-20s. I was a huge fan of beer at the time (still am :rockin:), but primarily got into the hobby because of the notion that brewing your own was cheaper than buying from an LQ. I soon realized that it was thoroughly enjoyable to cook up my own beer, and as you all know, a darn cool hobby to have! This was in 1998. I continued to homebrew to this day, and have noticed some ways in which the scene has changed.

For one, no-one cared. No one back then cared if your IPA was a "little too dark for the style". They were just stoked that it tasted good. No one cared if you brewed a Saison or an MGD clone. They were just stoked that you were making your own beer. No one cared if you were an extract brewer. They were just stoked that you brewed your own beer. No cared if you used a 3-gallon pot and a couple of plastic buckets or if you had an elaborate, computer-controlled rig. They were just happy to enjoy the final product with you.

These days, it seems that homebrewers are more concerned with targeting a specific style of brew to a T. When I got into homebrewing, the big thing to brew was IPAs. Now, it is just big, crazy beers all around; it seems. There is nothing wrong with that, really, but in my opinion-and it is just my opinion-that the emphasis has been removed from simply homebrewing and placed on trying to duplicate an authentic style.

It also seems that the more elaborate the rig, the better. I do see pictures of some of these rigs, and they are impressive mind you, but are they really needed? Stove-top all the way!

There are also tons more people involved today than back then. This isn't a bad thing in anyway, but it seems that a lot of people who are getting in to it now are going straight to the more complicated rig set-up and "authentic" styles. It almost seems as if you are not going big, you are a poser. This seems backwards for those just getting in to it. Or are they just doing it for the cool factor?

Brewing beer is a simple process, and I do not know why so many people are complicating it. I met a guy a few years ago who has [claimed] to be homebrewing for 40 years. He scoffs at all these "new school" techniques and claims that for AG, all you need to do is soak the grains in 140˚ F water for one hour. I like to keep things simple; and that is primarily what I do. Except I use 170˚ F water. I just put the grains into a cooler or bucket and add enough hot water to cover the grains + one inch or so above. Place a lid, and let it sit (after stirring, mind you).

Perhaps I might need to use an "extra" pound of grains or so in order to get the most sugars, but this method is not only about as basic as it comes, but gives me the desired results I am looking for.

As for beer styles...for me it was all about brewing beer that I enjoy drinking. I never cared for the BJCP guidelines. If my stout is more tan than dark brown/black-big whoop-dee-do!

Lately, I have been getting into really simplifying my brews. I use one grain and one type of hop. I just believe that brewing beer should be simple. It has been documented numerous times that even the most basic equipment can be used to create complex brews. I don't mean to rant, and I'll get off my soapbox. I'm just bringing this to this forum as a general observation.

Thoughts?

I first tried about 10 years ago...it may have been similar to mr beer..the kit came with everything. I was just too you to care and went to bars and clubs. Fast Forward, Im a little older, wiser and more patient and enjoy beers for the flavors and history now. Got a kit for xmas and am patiently waiting as I just started it sunday

Thoughts? I think you are doing it wrong! 170F mash? What are you brewing?

I keep everything simple and i brew mostly session beers to my preferred style. I like to gain contemporary wisdom from this site to help me along, and that works well for me.

The wonderful thing about this hobby is that we can approach it from as many different ways as there are brewers, and we can all be right.

I think you made a lot of generalizations about folks. Not everyone on here brews to style, or brews "complicated." The whole gamut is represented in our 40,000 members. We have techno geeks, and rdwhahb kings and queens, and all of us are somewhere in between.

I started this thread several years ago in fun but it kinda gives you an idea of the range representated on here Which Brewer are you?

This is an interesting discussion about making ussumptions about us, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/noob-assumption-94899/

The more information and more variety (and quality) of ingredients will inevitably lead to refinement of process and diversity of products. I guess I don't understand why you are ranting about people enjoying complexity in their hobby. A gardener that starts with one plant and ends up with a garden full of different plants isn't less of a gardener for branching out. Same goes for homebrewing.

However, you are a bit revisionist in your history of homebrewing. There were competitions with style guidelines before you started brewing. The fact that people can better brew within their desired style seems to be part of your rant, but again I guess I don't understand what you think the harm is.

Although I'm not a huge fan of making every beer a big one and I think it often gets comically ridiculous it is a reflection of the craft brewing around us. Look at the craft breweries and brewpubs also racing to brew the biggest beer with the most X flavor and the quirkiest Z yeast. As much as you might not like it that's exactly what happened in the 90s with IPAs when you started brewing those.

Brewing to style is a test of your skills. Monster beers are one of the current fads, just like massively hopping everything was the rage 3-4 years ago. And it's a hobby, subject to having money thrown at it.

Unlike most homebrewers, I focus on small beers. There's no room for error below 4%.

to be honest i enjoy hobbies where you can learn a lot about it but never have to apply it all if you dont want to. i just like to know all about a hobby but i dont necessarily apply all my knowledge. i enjoy brewing my own beers and i never really follow someone elses recipe and i have fun doing it.

I started brewing 4 years ago and I find that no one really cares what I brew as long as it is good beer and they are invited over. I'm not one to get all excited over style. In fact, half the time I have no idea what the hell I am brewing. It is all about having fun.

I think the elaobrate equipment that I see on this site is cool. I've made my own chiller and lauter tun and rigged up my own kegerator. Keeping it simple is boring. Is it all needed? Of course not. But it is a blast making these contraptions and then using them to make beer.

When I add the water to the grain, the grain cools it to around 150˚ F to 155˚ F or so. At the end of the hour, it cools to 140˚ F or a little bit higher. I mostly brew pale ales, but more hoppy.

Ah, OK. Yeah, while I don't do it any way similar to you, I keep it simple. I havn't used a hydrometer in about two years and never had a problem. If many of the brewers on this forum saw my brew day they would probably have a fit! ;)

As long as it is beer I enjoy at the end, then I got it right. I'm far from a scientist about this process. :)

I started brewing about 2 months ago, and was turned on to the hobby by a friend at work who had brewed for a long time. I origninally wanted to do it because I loved good craft beer and really needed a hobby to spend some time on. Now that I've made a few great beers, I really enjoy the process of finding a recipe, picking out ingredients, and actually making and fermenting the beer.

I started just by the mere fact that brewing your own beer sounded awesome. At this point I pick a style I want to brew, research it, and brew it according to traditional guidelines. I like a little challenge and this provides it for me. Throwing ingredients together doesn't give me any of that. It's fun to find out what exactly makes a style what it is and making it.

I do it because I love beer. I have at least +5 different styles on hand at all times and I love the variety. For me, its much cheaper than buying beer from the store. I kept track of every dollar I spent on brewing last year, and while it was a lot, it averaged out to $0.99/bottle. This year, I am already buying grain in bulk and want to start buying hops in bulk and it will be even cheaper.

I love the process of making beer. I like how diff ingredients can make such different beers and its fun to try new things. Toys are part of every hobby, and when I get a house with more room, I'm sure I am going to get more toys; especially a kegerator with multiple taps. Ahh to dream

I love being able to ask someone, "Want a beer"?
"Sure" they say.
They take a gulp...."Mmm, this is good, who make's this"?
..........."I do"............I say proudly

I brew because I can and because I like to do it. It is stress relief. I am still relatively new to the hobby so I am still learning all about process and trying to refine my process for something that works for me (of course I will be changing that this year when I move to all grain). Currently I don't worry too much about style, but I probably will some day. I like the fancy equipment that I see people post, but I don't have any. It is another part of the hobby I enjoy and someday I will join them in showing off my shiny new system.

Everybody gets out of brewing what they want to get out of it. Whether that is cheap beer, shiny toys, medals, whatever.

I think what really draws me in is that there are just so many variables that you can play with and try to make work together, and making beer is a combo of biology, chemistry, math, physics, and engineering - ALL the possible career paths I've ever thought about following rolled into one! Trying to figure out how all the little variables work together is what really sucked me in. One of the means for me to figure out some of those variables is "brewing to style". My gear is pretty rudimentary, and I think it works great, but if I could have some fancy brew rig where I could tighten down some of my control of the process and more of the variables, then heck ya that'd be even better.

I love to know how to do things, I also love to drink beer. I guess I just became interested in the science of how beer is made and figured, "hey, I could do this, it would probably be fun" and it is. I approach it as more of a craft than anything, anyone can brew beer, certain people can brew good beer. I'm by no means a master and I'm still learning with every batch, but as a soon to be architect who does graphic design and photography on the side, I try to fully appreciate the art in brewing. I have friends who have dropped thousands upon thousands on DSLR cameras and I guarantee you I could take a better photo with a disposable camera (I've been shooting since I was 10). You cant substitute experience with fancy equipment, however, if you are experienced with fancy equipment, thats cool too. In the end it just boils down to beer (no pun intended). When I drink my brews the first question I ask myself before I go on a critique rampage is, "Does it taste like beer?" if my answer is yes, then I've succeeded and any nuance that comes with the next sip is that much more awesome.

For me it's a blast of a hobby that pays for itself, and is delicious. I like making something with my hands, waiting weeks and weeks for it to come to age, then consuming it and catching a nice buzz while sharing w/ others. I also love German beer and I don't live near or know of any micro breweries that do it right (except the rare seasonal offering), so I have to do it myself. I'm definitely of those style-nazis, but only when it comes to malty German beers. It certainly bugs a guy like me when some guy at a brew club who doesn't care about styles starts talking up his kolsch recipe, then when I taste it it's all extra hoppy and fermented with American ale yeast... IMO it's disrespectful, but I try to bite my tongue. All I ask is that if it isn't to style, just give it a new name!

I started brewing so I could go online and argue with people about whether aluminum is better than SS since I wore out the mac vs. pc argument. (pc, obviously)

I love to cook and bake so the idea of making my own beer or wine appealed to me. Never could get the wine right, but the beer... each batch is better than the last. For me it is not primarily because of the cost - making something alone or with my wee lad - that is priceless.

B

I already fish and smoke my own, so brewing was the next logical step. I've always been a craft beer fan and I like hobbies where my anal retentive side can really shine. I'm also very curious and like to gain new knowledge. Home brewing really was a match made in heaven.

I might try making my own cheese too.

I havn't used a hydrometer in about two years and never had a problem. If many of the brewers on this forum saw my brew day they would probably have a fit! ;)
Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D

I use a hydrometer if something seems off or if I'm brewing a new style or in a new way, but generally I find that I don't need to check the gravity when I'm in my comfort zone. It helps that I've brewed for enough years now that I'm not at all impatient, however. The impatient brewer really should use a hydrometer all the time.

So yeah, I'm a "brew from the hip" kind of guy in practice, but having a good handle on the theory is what makes that possible with a high degree of success. You need theory and you need wisdom, but you don't *need* to check that the theory is still true every single time. But it's cool if you like to do that as well.

I love that this hobby can be approached in many ways and with many philosophies.

I figured this was a good thread for a first post.

I just got my kit, wonderful wife got it for me for Christmas, so my first brew is in the fermenter now. I've gotten into brewing for numerous reasons I guess.

1: Love to make stuff, there's something to be said about drinking something that you've made

2: The ability to be creative and technical at the same time. I've played guitar since I was 12 and loved theory of how everything worked with each, then discovered Jazz. I am expecting the same thing from beer. Get the basics down, then go do your own thing.

3: I love beer

I like what I brew. My friends like what I brew. Most of the people that try my homebrew, don't know what its supposed to taste like anyhow. Win Win.

The wonderful thing about this hobby is that we can approach it from as many different ways as there are brewers, and we can all be right.

+1000... I love to cook and brew. I have even had friends over for a "I made it all" dinner where I killed or harvested everything, and made the wine and brewed the beer served: "Handcrafted" everything.

As long as you are happy with your hobby and your efforts, you win.

I like beer that is real expensive to buy. My beer cost far less to make. Win. Also, I like seasonal's only available once a year - not anymore. Beers that do not distribute to my area....no worries...I will make it.

I started to save money, but that was back in the day when malt extract and hops were dirt cheap. I still do it to save money, but I also love the process and end result.

Everybody has good comments, and there really is no right answer. I understand that it to some my post may have sounded like a bit of moaning, but to help illustrate my intentions-I will respond to a few posters:

I guess I don't understand why you are ranting about people enjoying complexity in their hobby. A gardener that starts with one plant and ends up with a garden full of different plants isn't less of a gardener for branching out. Same goes for homebrewing.
I think that the elaborate processes and rigs that some homebrewers go through and develop are definitely impressive, and dare I say it; cool. I am a biologist by schooling and career. I come across a good number of people who spend large amounts of money on impressive equipment just to perform simple tasks on a regular basis. If I could be classified, I would be labeled as a bucket biologist. i.e., my "office" is out in the field (and no, I am not referring to the lay term of someone who illegally introduces species of fish into a new body of water).

Bucket biologists, as the result of small budgets, tend to create some very simple techniques to explore more complex problems/research. I just see homebrewing in the same way.

There is nothing wrong with a person's technique or recipe as long as they are enjoying themselves.

However, you are a bit revisionist in your history of homebrewing. There were competitions with style guidelines before you started brewing. The fact that people can better brew within their desired style seems to be part of your rant, but again I guess I don't understand what you think the harm is.
Yes, there were competitions back in the day. And yes, the "bible" was in existence for over decade at the least before I even got started.

My rant was not intended to begrudge those who can brew better beer-within a desired style or not-but to question if such things a big-rigs and complex techniques are nescessary.

I am a revisionist. You are correct on that. But, my idea is to create simpler techniques that allow even for complex brews.

What I find interesting is that some people use complex techniques and ingredients to "recreate" a style that was more than likely nothing more than boiled grains and hops that were allowed to spontaneously ferment.

Although I'm not a huge fan of making every beer a big one and I think it often gets comically ridiculous it is a reflection of the craft brewing around us. Look at the craft breweries and brewpubs also racing to brew the biggest beer with the most X flavor and the quirkiest Z yeast. As much as you might not like it that's exactly what happened in the 90s with IPAs when you started brewing those.
I am going to say it: I find most of the "craft beer" trend annoying. I remember a few years ago when craft beer became the new "wine".

Keeping it simple is boring.
I disagree. It puts you in a position to dig deep into your knowledge base in order to create the best recipe using the least ingredients and equipment. I mentioned that I only use one grain and one hop these days. I have to know which hop to use based on hop characteristics and my own personal tastes. I also need to figure out the method of addition. As for the grain, I need to know which grain to use based on characteristics. I left this out in my OP, but I don't always use the grain straight-up. I often times roast a pound or more in the oven. This imparts different colors and flavors depending on oven temp and length in the oven.

To me, that is fun! And, challenging.

I have to know which hop to use based on hop characteristics and my own personal tastes. I also need to figure out the method of addition. As for the grain, I need to know which grain to use based on characteristics. ... I often times roast a pound or more in the oven. This imparts different colors and flavors depending on oven temp and length in the oven.
I generally agree with your sentiments. In my opinion, some hobbyists stress themselves out worrying about number differences that are within the margin of error of their test equipment. But they seem to enjoy the stress, so it's no bother to me. :D

But regarding your above quote:

What you've done is impose a specialized set of rules on your brewing. Instead of being a slave to BJCP guidelines, you're worshiping at the altar of "simplicity" in the form of a self-imposed restrictions (eg - limiting ingredients to one of each type per recipe).

I'd suggest that how you brew (which sounds cool) is not simple at all, but rather minimalist. Minimalism, in any setting, can often end up being quite complicated because of the restrictions and rules. It's far more intellectually complex to solve a problem this way, but it can also mean you are limiting yourself unnecessarily. It can be both good and bad. What matters is that you enjoy it.

What you've done is impose a specialized set of rules on your brewing. Instead of being a slave to BJCP guidelines, you're worshiping at the altar of "simplicity" in the form of a self-imposed restrictions (eg - limiting ingredients to one of each type per recipe).

I'd suggest that how you brew (which sounds cool) is not simple at all, but rather minimalist. Minimalism, in any setting, can often end up being quite complicated because of the restrictions and rules. It's far more intellectually complex to solve a problem this way, but it can also mean you are limiting yourself unnecessarily. It can be both good and bad. What matters is that you enjoy it.
You may be correct with your assessment. By simple, I mean less ingredients. So you are also correct in saying that it is more minimalistic.

I began to "restrict" my technique mainly because I brew AG, yet on the stove-top. I really do not have the space to use anything larger than a 5-gallon pot and insulated water-cooler. Granted, I can still do complicated brews, big beers if you will, but purchasing 0.15 lb. of grain from my LHBS is kind of a pain since I also do not have the space to store more grain than I need/will immediately use.

I will also admit that my idea came partially from Iron Chef. You know, where the use the one "secret ingredient" in all of their dishes. Since I cannot use bigger and better equipment to aid in improvement over my craft, I sought to hone my knowledge in what I do have available instead.

Also, like I said, beer in and of itself is a simple product that can be made in the most simple ways. Perhaps it is because of the many blogs and forums these days, but I see a lot of people who get into homebrewing have an appeared notion that it might be more complicated than need be.

As long as those involved are enjoying themselves, it does not matter what they brew or how they brew it.

Why I homebrew now is far different from why I did it in the beginning. These days I am more concerned with developing and refining my own styles regardless of what any "authority" says on the matter. What is interesting is that most (all?) of these "authentic" styles that people are duplicating where styles that arrived because those who brewed them only had access to particular grains, hops, and water. They basically made beer the only way they knew how.

Why do I brew?

A couple of reasons.

1. Generally cheaper than buying beer at the store.

2. Gives me greater control over what I drink.

3. Echoes my past ancestors: my great grandfather brewed beer during prohibition in NY. Someday I have to locate the recipe.

4. Creative outlet.

5. Continual learning process.

What is interesting is that most (all?) of these "authentic" styles that people are duplicating where styles that arrived because those who brewed them only had access to particular grains, hops, and water. They basically made beer the only way they knew how.
Totally agree with that.

I, too, have modeled both my recipe selection and brew-day procedure around the limitations of my environment. For example, since I have forced hot-water heat in my house, I also get tap water that goes up to about 185F. So if I do a protein rest, a sacc rest, and then a mashout (and of course, then another infusion for sparging), I can usually avoid needing to heat the mash water beyond the temp that it comes out of the tap. This saves time and propane. :)

More than anything, I do it because I love beer. Also, I'm trying to learn as much about beer as I possibly can.

I just love the creativity involved. I think I followed a recipe on my first batch just to learn the process and have been formulating my own stuff ever since. Even before I started I would often think about weird ingredients that would make certain styles more interesting. With how much science is involved in the process, I think it's the exact sort of creative outlet I've been searching for.

I've read similar replies in this thread already, but I'll still add mine for whatever reason.

Brewing beer sits at the intersection of a half a dozen of my interests. It's equal parts art, science, creativity and engineering.

I have been a fan of craft beer for years, and love to cook.

Brewing brings all the creativity of cooking and recipe formulation into a semi-rigid brew day process that I find challenging and rewarding.

I like brewing for the same reasons I like cooking:

-I get a more wholesome, raw end product than storebought
-I enjoy the process, it's fun
-I like modifying and creating recipes
-I like to know the process behind how things are made (you could say I like DIY hobbies)
-It's WAY cheaper apples-to-apples with storebought (I usually don't brew or cook cheap stuff)
-It's fun to drink!
-Getting compliments from friends on one's skill is always a plus!

Back