RJS RQ kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorCAD

Reaction score
I lucked out and found a RJ Spagnols RQ Cab Franc/Merlot kit for half price at a local BOP winery. I started it 2 weeks ago and yesterday was the first testing day.

The OG was 1.096 and at 14 days it had dropped to .993. I used a brew belt to keep it warm for all of the 14 days. The grape skins sunk after 5 days, so I quit stirring then. I left the toasted oak strip in the whole 14 days. The sample that I pulled off was crystal clear and very dark. Of course, I had to taste it. It was wonderful! Strong flavor, good mouthfeel and even has an aftertaste at this age.

30 days in the secondary per the instructions, but I may go longer. I think this one may turn out very good.

Anyone ever tried this kit?

Whatever came in the kit, and I let SHMBO do all the "thinking" work and I just did the lifting, so I didn't really see the package.

This will be "her" wine.

Hello DoctorCAD. I bulk age all my wines for about a year in a carboy. I rack every couple months until there is no sediment and then let it rest until its been about a year. Then I bottled them. I have not been dissapointed by this process yet.

I am following directions. 42 days in the carboy, 12 months in the bottle.

Don't have enough carboys for bulk aging, I'd never get another wine started!

Back