Too much head from bottled beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirmat

Reaction score
I recently brewed a dunkelweizen, and in the bottling process ended up putting some of it into growlers. The beer that comes from the growlers seems perfectly carbonated, but the beer from the bottles has A LOT of head. This was our first batch-- does anyone know what could have caused this? Want to avoid in the future...

Are you pouring it straight down? Or down the sides a bit?

How long have the beers been bottled?

more info like how much bottling sugar did you use?, are they at room temp when you open them?, etc

More info:

We are pouring down the sides of the glass, not straight down.
Beers have been in bottles for three weeks.
Used 1 1/3 cups LME as priming sugar before bottling.
Are refrigerator-chilled when opened.

Maybe turbulence in the necks of the bottles? I've noticed a difference in some of mine depending what shape bottle they're in, and I need to adjust the pour a little, to avoid gurgling in the opening.

If a growler is what I think it is, then it's got a bigger opening as well, right? So maybe it just pours smoother?

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't use near that much priming sugar when bottling. I use corn sugar when I do, not LME though. Not sure on the conversion between the two.

Oh, and growlers don't keep beer carbonated as long as bottles do. At least that's what happens to the beer i get in growlers from breweries.

This was our first batch, followed directly from a clone recipe. The flavors are amazing, and the head isn't detrimental, but I just like to learn from the process. It very well may be that the growler did not hold carbonation as well. Seems we overcarbonated, by this theory. Thanks for the help, everyone.

My first batch or two had similar issues. Extreme head (which in other contexts would sound nice). I think it is because I used the entire package of priming sugar when the recipe probably called for less.

Back