Secondary racking and dry hop questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
Well, I'm on my second batch. first batch is bottle conditioning as I write... My 2 part question is this...
1) when you rack to secondary,I always seem to get more trub than I want. How far down do you guys spyphon to avoid getting that, or doesn't it really matter b/c it will clear in secondary?

and 2) This is my first dry hop experience. Recipe called for .5 oz of cascade hops but my LHBS was out of cascade, so they recommended centennial.. (hope that'sclose) my question is this, since adding the hops, it of course is very green and making the beer very cloudy and hop particles everywhere.. In 2 weeks whenI rack to bottling bucket, should I use a strainer as to not get that stuff in my bottles...(I'm not very good at syphoning yet..)

I would imagine that everyone has their own techniques but...

1) when I rack to the secondary, I typically start with the tip of the racking cane a couple of inches above the bottom of the container (well out of the trub) and lower it as the level drops and I can see what's going on....or look at the tube and if you see trub coming up, raise the cane until clear. Either way, stuff will settle in the secondary.

2) if you still have a lot of material in suspension when you are ready to transfer to your bottling bucket, you can put a screen on the tip of your racking cane or screen the spigot inside your bottling bucket if too much transfers. I would avoid screening the exit and aerating the beer.

Centennial lacks some of the spiciness of Cascades, but it's a good choice for dry hopping. It's a hop that can be used at any point in the brewing process.

I'm a lit tle worried about this dry hopping procedure. If the hops won't settle on the bottom, I'm afraid of getting pieces of hop in my bottles?? Not sure If I'll do this again... but I guess I'll wait and see. Right now there is a half inch later of hop sh*t on top???? will that ever go away??:(

It won't go away, so you have to carefully rack to a bottling bucket. If you want to dry hop in the future, it is easier to do with a bucket & bagging the hops.

Back