Alcohol taste in my Cream Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongBoards

Reaction score
Hello all,

Completed a batch of extract cream soda last week. tasted it for the first time today and it has a bad/alcohol-like taste to it. I followed the instructions on the extract bottle, which incidentally says to wait 48 to 72 hours for carbonation prior to refrigerating. After 24 hours, though, the PET bottles were hard - enough to make me believe that I reach maximum carbination. I decided to wait another 18 hours just in case (risking bottle rockets). I think this was a bad decision. I believe that the yeast had more time to consume the sugars, thus over-fermenting, creating alcohol.

My question: Can I pull the bottles from the 'fridge and add more sugar? Knowing the yeast has gone dormant, I am not sure this will work. Should I leave the bottles out to reach room temperature, then add sugar, wait a couple of days, and then re-fridgerate?

Or, should I toss the batch and start again?

My next batch will actually be a black cherry/vanilla soda:

100% black cherry juice from concentrate (local health food store)
Brown Sugar
Vanilla bean
Water
Maltodextrin
Ale yeast

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

All of the soda that I have made have a touch of an alcohol taste to them. When yeast converts sugar to CO2, alcohol is also created. The only way that I know of making soda without any alcohol is with force-carbonation.

I made a batch of Cream Soda in the fall, and the alcohol in the vanilla extract was enough to put it "over the edge" for some non-drinkers, and they complained that it tasted bad and dumped their cups in the sink! Next time I'll use the beans.

Latest posts

Back