Bottling bucket dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlley

Reaction score
Just wanted to show you a little thingamajig that I made to help me get as much beer out of my bucket as possible.

I bought the shortest plastic racking cane I could find along with a little drilled stopper that fit the I.D. of the bucket valve from the inside. I cut the racking cane about two inches from the bend. I then used a belt sander to make a bevel on what was the hook of the cane.

Slip the stopper over the cut end of the cane and then press that into the valve, position the beveled end an 1/8" or so off the bottom of the bucket and presto, a dip tube. The bevel I sanded was such that it was about parallel with the bottom if the bucket.

Total cost was under $2 and it's easy to remove for cleaning. Once the beer gets about an inch from the bottom, I tilt the bucket about 3/4" with a block of wood and I got all but about 1/4 cup of beer out of the bucket.

image-480299612.jpg

image-207921197.jpg

image-42398836.jpg

You could use a 3/4" 90 degree angle PVC elbow with one sided interior threads that will thread onto the bottling spicket inside. Cost about 39 cents at lowes and it leaves could ounces of liquid, without having to tilt the bucket.

glockspeed31 said:
You could use a 3/4" 90 degree angle PVC elbow with one sided interior threads that will thread onto the bottling spicket inside. Cost about 39 cents at lowes and it leaves could ounces of liquid, without having to tilt the bucket.

+1
That's what I did and just about sucks it all up

Would you mind posting a picture of this?
I want to take it with me to lowes so they know what i am talking about.
Thank you very much

Don't have my bucket handy but the description above is exactly what they need to now at Lowe's. You can take your spigot with you to be sure the threads match up with the new elbow. Depending on the height of your spigot you may need to shave the end of the elbow so that it doesn't hit the bottom of the bucket. Ideally there is a 1/16-1/8" clearance between the bottom of the bucket and the bottom of the elbow dip tube.

Looks exactly like mine. You'll be hearing from my lawyer about patent infringement.

Cheers!

Yeah, except I came up with the idea and posted it on here a LONG time ago, so you all owe me at least 2 bottles of every beer you've bottled using my idea. My pipeline is a little low, so hurry up folks.

;)

Back